eight

Jungkook stood firmly upright, pulling his roommate by the arm.

“I said no!" the older spat, shaking his head so that his caramel locks swiftly shifted from side to side.

"Kim Taehyung we're going to the doctor,"

"Jungkookie no. I don't like it there! Please let me stay!" He pouted, the sole idea of the monotonous silence and whiteness of the large building sending negative thoughts through his brain.

"Nope, we've got to figure out what happened to you yesterday,”

Jungkook hadn't slept that night, the memory of the panic attack haunting his dreams, and the lingering of the kiss in his lips even more. Except it wasn't a kiss. It was mouth to mouth resuscitation, which he had learnt in a course. But at the same time it had felt like… Something else.

Nevertheless, he desperately wanted to know what was happening to Taehyung. But the older wouldn't cooperate.

So after hours of trying to convince him, he managed to bring him out, on the desperate condition that he would stay with him the whole time.

                           _____

"Kim Taehyung... 18 years old, right?" the jingling of the doctor's watch and wooden bracelets reverberating through the room as a long hand rushed out to pinch his cheek, which didn't amuse him at all.

Seeing his discomfort, he shook his head and gently smiled.

"Mhm," Tae shifted nervously in his seat. The man energetically nodded, the sound of computer keys busily working being one of the only sounds audible in the white room.

"Let's see... Whoop, you haven't got a medical history? What other hospital have you been in Taehyung?" he typed into his computer, rather confused at the lack of information on this particular boy.

"I've never really been.. in a hospital," were the feared words that any doctor tried to avoid. This meant the person would be unnecessarily scared and reluctant to any tests they might try to do on him.

Jungkook's eyes widened. The man adjusted his glasses, hung by a string of colourful beads.

"Oh... I see... So at least can you tell me the name of the hospital you were born in?" doctor Jin specified.

"I... I wasn't b-born in a h-hospital, s-sir," Tae looked down and started fiddling with his fingers.

There was an uncomfortable silence in the room. But at the same time, Taehyung’s thoughts were loud. Doctor Jin was the one to break the ice, being the responsible man he was.

"Oh.. I understand... Can you tell me of any family members who might have had similar symptoms? Any brothers... Sisters?"

"No.. I'm a single child. My mother lived with me and she seemed pretty healthy.. I mean, uh, she didn't have attacks like I did," Tae explained.

"Ok... You live with your mother now? Does she know the correct way to treat you in a situation like that?"

"My mother... died," Tae shifted again, trying not to bring up memories from the past and continued. "S-she used to try and calm me by speaking and stroking my head. I live with Kooki- sorry, Jungkook, because my apartment is not in living conditions right now,"

Jungkook continued to observe the delicate conversation. Of course. There was...so much about him that he didn't know.

"In that case, Mr Jeon, here are some instructions you might want to read to take care of Tae if another one of these episodes occurs. You can come back on Tuesday for us to do some test on you, ok? Nothing big, just a little blood test and a brain scan," he turned to Tae again, nodding.

Blood.

It was all over the floor, a crimson mess, and he could distinguish faint handprints on the walls.

"Eo-eomma?" Taehyung had gasped. "Eomma you're bleeding!"

There was a body in front of him, silky pale and black hair now tinted red. The woman held the boys hand and grasped it with undying force.

"Shh.. Tae it'll be alright ok? You'll be ok, I have faith in you," she coughed loudly, a small red streak escaping her lips as her eyes started drooping.

"Eomma no! You can't close your eyes! Leave them open! Eomma wait!"

They lay closed, and the body shook. A small wail left the woman's mouth as she fell silent.

His hands were stained a dark hue of red, and he reached out for the first thing that he saw. Tears were flowing down his cheeks in despair. He…he didn't know what had happen. He held the object in his hands and slowly-

"Tae. Tae we can go now. Tae?" Jungkook was holding his hand as they walked out. "Tae why are you crying?"

His eyes were glossy and tired.

"Look.. Tae-tae, why didn't you tell me all of that? Your past, "

"Was it important?" he said in a low tone. "Would you care?" he whispered as he pushed out of his grip, sitting down on a nearby bench.

Jungkook sighed and kissed his cheek. "Tae... of course I care. You're my... You're my friend,"

Tae's eyes darted towards his. "Promise?"

Jungkook giggled softly and he intertwined their hands.
"Of course,"

___