three

Jungkook’s slender fingers performed a hesitant dance over the cracked screen of his phone, his mind lost in thought

Jungkook’s slender fingers performed a hesitant dance over the cracked screen of his phone, his mind lost in thought. He wanted to answer the call, but at the same time he was tired and he just wanted a rest.

In the long wait, the phone stopped ringing and Jungkook assumed there was nothing to do about it. All that worried him now was  a mere assignment he had to turn in the next day. But the ear splitting sound of his ringtone shook him up once more, his roommate Jimin waking up too, rubbing his swollen eyes in confusion. He declined the call, his lips letting out a heavy groan.

Rolling over on his velvety mattress, his eyes fell shut and his mind worked on unfolding a light dream.

                          _______

A bony hand put the phone down, proceeding to clutch his chest. His breathing is hitched, painfully hoarse to the ear, and eyes glossy in despair.

This was certainly not Taehyung's first panic attack. In fact, these episodes had happened in the past. He always managed to get through it somehow, with the help and unconditional love of his mother.

Caressing his sleek hair, lullabies would graciously escape her lips, her sweet voice being everything Taehyung needed to soothe himself.

It just didn't feel right not having her there.

"Relax, Taetae... Everything will be alright... Sshh... Now sleep and dream well, tomorrow's a long day," she used to say to the young boy that was shivering before her. Little Taehyung rolled over and his eyes fluttered closed, his breathing now becoming more and more regular.

He still lived in the wreck of an apartment that his small family had once shared, now only being occupied by one person, Taehyung himself, his mind and voices being the only company he could afford.

Soon, after he changed schools, all his classmates were quick to forgive and to forget, and they forgot him. Being an only child, and their parents having no other siblings, he was condemned to live his life with no relatives or friends. He had no one to call when his chest started heaving.

Therefore here he was, in his stuffy apartment all alone, tears endlessly travelling down his face, holding in to his chest as if his life depended on it. It was not like it didn't, anyway. His shirt was moist with sweat and the bedsheets started to dampen. He was in a horrible state and all he needed was to talk.

Yes, the time wasn't appropriate, but he was the only person he could get to. He was the only person who had stuck with him this far, despite not being entirely satisfied with his childish manners. He acted like a last hope. But hope was soon lost as he saw Jungkook wasn't answering.

Tae's eyes remained open that night. Terrified of the shadows that formed on the wall, resembling ghouls and demons, and every car passing triggered a flinch in his body.

“K-Kookie!” he cried helplessly in the haunting gloom. 

                            ______

Uneasiness crept upon Jungkook’s body as the day dragged itself on. The unusual silence of Taehyung just didn't seem right. There was no squeezing or hugging as he came in the door. He was met by a pair of blank eyes staring at a book. 

"Taehyung... Are you okay?" he asked him when they were eating.

His big brown orbs gazed up at him. He muttered an apology.

"I'm sorry for being like that all day today. I just got a bit… sad that you didn't answer my call," he smiled weakly.

The call. Jungkook knew that it was something to do with him. A gush of guilt swept onto his face, but he attempted to act normal.

"Oh... Um... So why did you call me in the first place?" he leaned back on the bench.

"I just felt like I needed to talk to someone Kookie," he blushed. "And you seemed like a good option,"

Jungkook couldn't help but to curl his lips upwards in a grin, the first he had ever displayed in front of the older, munching on his green apple.

Taehyung’s fingers wriggled in place.

"We're friends... Right?" Tae whispered.

"Yes, of course," Jungkook intertwined their fingers and Tae held them tight.

Well... He's not that bad. But he still seems like he's obsessed...

                        ___________

"So you've changed your mind about him then?" Jimin grinned. "I told you it was cute!"

"I never said it was cute hyung, I said he's not that bad," Jungkook emphasised.

"Pfff whatever. You like him right?" he replied.

"Hyung! I don't! Please don't talk about this if you're the one who's in love!" Jungkook rolled his eyes.

"Me? With who?"

"With Yoongi-hyung," Kook smirked. "Come on Jimin, won't you admit that you go weak in the knees every time you see him? Not to mention the times I see him kicking his lips whenever you dance, or the tent that forms in your boxers when-"

The older blushed and found himself smiling like a fool. "Ugh okay! You're so annoying!"

"Does that mean.... that Yoonmin is real?? REALLY?" Jungkook started to jump on the bed, eyes wide open.The idea of his hyungs in a relationship made him fantasise even more.

"We aren't official... We're just in love, or I hope he is," Jimin lowered his voice.

"YESS! I KNEW IT! JIMINIE LIKES YOONGI! JIMINIE LIKES YOOOOONGI!"

His cheering was muted by a hand slapping him from behind. He dramatically fell onto the bed, stifling a laugh.

"Shut up! Shit, Yoongi could hear you!" Jimin gasped.

"Oh hyung, aren't you being a bad example for me? No swearing, Jiminie!"

"Only Yoongi can call me that, Kookie!" Jimin replied defiantly.

"Only Tae can... nevermind," Jungkook started.

The two roommates started to giggle as if they were two twelve year old girls gossiping, and soon fell asleep.

                               * * *

Yes I had to include yoonmin in that- you know me 😌