P1: The Beginning

"Lilly." I ask aloud.

Lily the hologram appears over my sprawled out body located on my, obviously, white bed. Her hair has always been pulled into a professional bun and her clothes are always the same white pants suit with a splash of blue from her blouse, bringing out the blue in her artificial eyes.

"Yes?" she asks with irritation in her voice.

It was understandable. Expected even. This was the thirtieth time I've called her.

Ignoring the look she's giving me, I play with the ends of my hair. "Where's my father?"

"Qué?"

I huff with a roll of my eyes. Lily is my teacher in various subjects for as long as I can remember. Of course she's get me back by making me practice with Spanish.

"Dónde está mi papa?"

"Very good. He's working."

"Por qué?" I whine.

"You know why."

"Could you play with me then?" I pout.

"I'm not a program made to...play?" She speaks like a robot without an extensive speech program.

"Liar."

She glares. "Good-bye, Autumn."

"Wait!" I call out before she disappears.

"Yes?"

"I turn 18 today. Could you just please wish me a 'happy birthday'?"

It's hard being locked away by yourself like this. Before, my father never missed an opportunity to come and wish me another happy year. It's in my isolation when I notice that I know nothing of the outside world besides things I've seen on TV.

I don't even have a window! Just four white ways, bright lights, and various items I have to make it homey. I have pictures I drew as a kid. Sheets of papers with places I want to see. I just want human interaction. Not a sassy artificial intelligence program.

"Feliz Cumpleaños." She disappears.

Worst. Birthday. Ever.

I've had enough! I'm freaking eighteen! I should be allowed to leave when I want to wherever I want! With pent up anger, I roll off my bed and start kicking things around.

"Now, that's not very mature like."

I squeak and turn to the door. A sigh of relief eases my frozen stance.

"Doctor Martinez!" I rush into her open arms.

"Happy Birthday." She strokes my hair. She always sounded sad during this time. Maybe she felt sorry for me.

I stretch my lips out into a smile. "Thank you."

"How are you enjoying it?" She holds me at arms' length.

I playfully glare at her. She can guess how I'm enjoying it.

She laughs. "That good, huh? Contain your enthusiasm. Let me take a look at you."

She watches me twirl in front of her. It's not like my attire is any different from yesterday's or the day before that and so on.

"Wow, you're growing up!"

"Exactly. I wanna get out of here, Dr. Martinez." I gesture to the room, finally having the opportunity to tell someone my wishes. "Where's my father?"

She cringes. "He's working, Autumn."

I throw my hands up. "I'm 18. Let me explore! There's a whole other world out there besides this room. I deserve to see it. To experience it. He can't keep me locked up in here forever."

She glances at the door then back at me. "I'll ask him and see what he says."

I sigh. "You know what he'll say." I lower my voice. "'It is too dangerous for you to roam the lab, Autumn.' Then why do I live here? If it's so dangerous, a child shouldn't have been raised inside of the lab all these years."

Dr. Martinez purses her lips. This isn't supposed to be her argument. I've been practicing this in my head all day. It's like she pulled on a thread and everything came apart.

"Autumn." She warns. "Don't be difficult."

I snort. "That's the thing, I'm always easy." I shake my head. "I'm 18 now. It's time I start demanding my rights to be respected! I'm an American! I can't just sit back and let my life be taken from me."

I hate taking my frustration out on her since she's the only one on my side, but I can't help it. I need her to understand me on this.

"So, you're going to pout?" She teases me.

"I'm serious."

She sighs. "I can't make that decision, Autumn."

"I know." I cross my arms over my chest, staring at our contrasting shoes.

I wish I was apart of her world. When her shift was over, she could discard the white lab coat and wear her different colors proudly. She could drive home and never realized what it felt like to be trapped in a life you never asked for.

"I'll talk to your father."

"Fine."

She gives me another big hug. "Happy Birthday, honey." She whispers.

"Thanks."

She turns to leave. I turn away, hating this part of her visit. I wait for the familiar click of the door, but it doesn't come. I frown still waiting. She must feel guilty. It's not her I want to feel guilty. 

"Dr. I didn't mean--"

She not in the room. She'd left like I thought, but she didn't shut the door all the way. It's supposed to automatically lock when you shut it. Outside, her voice wafts through as she talks to the guards always stationed at my door.

The sound of clicking and soft thuds grow softer until they're nonexistent.

Did she mean to leave my door open? Is this a test? I bite the bullet and take the chance. Peeking around the door slowly, I look to see the trap laid out for me, but the corridor is empty.

"Hello?" I whisper, hoping no would scare the pee out of me. I even wait for someone to shout, "Get back in your room!", but no one does.

For the first time, I walk out of my white room and into a grey hall. It could be me, but the air feels different on the other side of the door. Is this what freedom feels like? My heart is thumping wildly in my chest. I can imagine it shaking on the bars of its own cell.

This is it. This is my chance. Excitement courses through my veins as I bounce on the tips of my feet. This is crazy! A part of me is begging me to go back into my room and not get myself into trouble, but this is what I was complaining about, right?

My other side reasons with my fear. I wanted a chance to take the roughest course.

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

That's what Robert Frost said. This is my opportunity to change my life. To do something memorable. I won't let it slip by!

As I look around me for any one coming or going, I'm faced with my first adult decision outside of the comfort of my own room.

Should I go left or should I go right?