P9: The Loss of A Friend

We all sit around the table munching on sandwiches. The storm continues to hang out right on top of us, but the noise has died down a little or I've grown to be okay with it. I'm not as on edge anymore. I keep quiet as Melody and Darren discuss strategies for the rescue mission. I don't have the heart to say anything. Plus, I don't have anything to contribute.

"Hey, Autumn, would you like some ice cream?" Melody pulls me from my thoughts.

The corners of my mouth pull downward.

"Since the power is out, it'll only melt, so it's best to make the best of it. It's vanilla." Melody smiles.

I smile back. "I'd like that."

She pulls out a tub of Mayfield's ice cream. I never had ice cream before. Sweets were hard to come by at the lab. She grabbed herself a spoon and one for me. Darren goes upstairs.

"Okay, knock knock." Mel laughs.

I giggle with confusion as energy spikes through my veins. I feel like I'm bouncing in my spot on the floor. "Who's there?"

"They see."

"They see who?"

"They see me rolling..." Mel bursts into laughter.

I chuckle along with her even though I have no clue what the pun is about. It seems that way with every joke she tells. I'm always lost. She begins to tell me another when a loud slam comes from the basement from underneath us.

I jump, gazing down at the floorboards. "What was that?"

"Probably the storm blew open a shutter or something." She groans as she stands to her feet. "I'll go check."

My body buzzes with anxiety. The storm doesn't seem that bad anymore. How could it blow open the shutters like that?

"Maybe I should come with you." I stand as well.

She waves me off. "I'm a big girl. I can handle it."

"I don't want to be alone." I insist. I just don't want her to be by herself. Something just doesn't feel right.

"Darren!" Mel shouts up the stairs.

"What?" He yells back.

They're always yelling.

"Come sit with, Autumn. I have to go downstairs. I think one of the shutters blew open."

My leg bounces with anxiety and sugar. Something isn't right. Darren comes down the stairs and joints me in the living room.

"What's downstairs?" He leans against the door frame.

"I said I think a shutter was blown open. I have to make sure before we get any water damage."

He nods as he passes a flashlight to her. She leaves the room after giving me a reassuring smile. I try to respond with a genuine smile, but it comes out strained. As soon as she leaves, I turn to Darren.

"Darren, something is wrong."

He frowns, standing upright. "Why do you say that?"

"I don't know. I just have this strong feeling that something bad is brewing and Mel shouldn't go downstairs alone."

"I'll go check on her. Are you okay with being alone?"

I nod. As long as he's with Mel, she'll be OK. I know it's not like she can't handle herself. I just don't want her to be alone. I finish up the last of the ice cream while waiting for them to come back and clean up the mess. Besides the storm outside, it's deathly quiet. I sit at the kitchen table, drumming my fingers on the table.