P12: Daddy's Back

Autumn's POV:

I can see the world more clearly.

I can see it more perfectly than I ever could before.

I don't know how the bullet left my body nor do I know how my skin looks flawless. I know that something on my face has changed because Darren won't look at me directly unless he needs to. I think it's my eyes.

Everything has changed.

Darren moves cautiously through the wooded area. The orange-pink glow taints the sky as the sun begins to rise from its slumber. It's still hard for Darren to see by the way he stumbles through the earth's litter.

I wonder how things will be now. I know I want to go and attack my father and his corporation head on. The new found hate I have for him is fueling the adrenaline pumping through my veins. I'd died. I stopped existing. Mel died. No one can just get away with something like that.

He needs to pay for what he's done to not only Darren and his siblings or me. He needs to pay for all the families he manipulated. No matter how much disgust Dr. Martinez has toward me, I still feel remorse for her. She lost her daughter to science and now, she has to be reminded constantly by an abomination.

By me.

I know I shouldn't think like that, but it's true. The animals around us seem to start their early morning routines. I watch a squirrel couple scamper under my feet up a nearby tree. I smile to myself as I brush my hair back behind my ears. A rustling noise halts any movement from me. This time it isn't far off like the previous times. 

"Darren." I hiss.

He stops. "What is it?"

"I don't know, but it's moving with purpose."

He back tracks and stands beside me. "We can handle it." He assures me.

I nod slowly, not feeling entirely sure. The distinct rustling abruptly stops. The only noise I can hear is our hushed pants.

"It stopped." I breathe.

"What do you--?"

Something flies through the bushes and sticks to Darren's arm. We both look down at the dart.

"It's a tranquilizer." His voice slurs. He starts to crumple to the ground.

I try to catch him. "Darren?"

"Run." He whispers and slumps down in my arms.

His even breathing reassures me that he's alright. I struggle have a better grip to pick him up.

"Don't."

I freeze. I glare slits at the direction the voice had come from.

"I know you can hear me, Autumn. I've come to explain." My father's voice carries out to me.

He'd to be standing several yards from me. It's the only explanation I can come up with as to why he sounded so calm.

"I don't want to hear anymore of your lies."

"I know that you've been fed a lot of lies since the last time we've spoken, but--"

"I saw my file!" I snap.

He grows quiet. I listen closely for any signs of a sneak attack. Darren rests deeply. Oblivious to the issues around. I wonder if I looked as peaceful when I was unconscious earlier.

"We don't want to hurt you."

I let out a bitter laugh. "Too late."

"Autumn, I'm still your father."