P10: Activating Operation Autumn

I find the keys in the sun visor and force them into the ignition. Recalling what I've seen Darren do, I switch the gear into D and press the right pedal. We quickly pull off.

"They killed her." Darren whispers.

I don't say anything. What can I say? He just watched his sister die. He watches her die because of me. It's my fault they came to their sanctuary. She tries to warn him, but he wouldn't listen.

I was dangerous.

There's nothing to get around that. I flutter my eyelids to clear my eyes of the tears. I promise Mel I'd take care of her brother, so that's what I'm going to do. After he's safe, he can do what he will with me. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to dump me on the side of the road somewhere and tell me I'm on my own.

God, now Mel will never get to see her little brother again. Will she ever be able to be buried? The quiet kills me on the inside. Things are bad right now. Really, really bad.

The rain lets up as I speed down the road. The trees of the woods fly by our windows like green blobs. I don't know how fast I'm going, but it's not fast enough. The thumping is back. The roof of the car clanks loudly.

"Darren, they're shooting at us!" I swerve.

The tires slipping on the slick pavement. The helicopter follows us from above. The car is drenched in its own spotlight. A sharp pain hits my side as I try to pull away from the chopper's line of fire. I grit my teeth together. There's a loud popping sound. I slam on the brakes.

"Darren!"

The car slides on the road. Tires screeching angrily. We flip over. Darren's hand reaches for me as the hood of the slams down on the road before flipping again. My eyes close as another flip turns us over and the car squeals. It shakes my bones. It finally stops, leaving us cramped on the hood. My side burns more than anywhere else.

I cough and brush the broken glass away.

"We got to get out." Darren grunts.

He has a cut on his forehead, bleeding. I nod awkwardly. My neck stiff. Darren kicks the windshield until it breaks away and climbs through.

"Be careful of the glass." He reaches in for me.

I grab on to him for support. We stand in the middle of the road. Darren shoots at the helicopter until it flies back. The light shatters. Flies back out of sight. I collapse onto the ground to my knees. I clutch my side, taking shallow breaths. My fingers draw back with the sickening color of crimson.

"Autumn!"

I look up at him.

"Hold on okay?" He wraps my arm around his shoulders and helps me to apply pressure to my side.

We shuffle into the woods away from the open area. He lays me down, being cautious of my injury. My eyelids grow heavy. I should be fine. I will be fine. I just need to sleep and I'll heal. I just need a minute.

But...why does my side still burn? It's like someone ignited a fire in me. I gasp at the sudden pain.

"Autumn, I need you to stay awake, OK?" He brushes my hair away from my face.

I strain to meet his brown eyes and attempt a smile. "Hi."

"Hey." He grips my hand and holds it against my side. His gaze breaks away from mine to look at the damage. "There's so much blood." He murmurs to himself.

I moan with discomfort. I feel uncomfortable in my skin. I just want to break free of it. Sweat on my body cools in the breeze, carrying the sick smell of iron. I mentally gag. Darren rips off a piece of my shirt, exposing my stomach, and holds it against my wound.