P13: A Rescue Mission Gone Bad

When I hear footsteps ahead of me, I slip into the closet I first met Darren. With the lights on, I realize it's a supply closet. Lucky for me, there are lab coats. I slip one on and let my hair out of its pony tail. I fluff it out. Despite the all white attire I've been changed into, I think I can pass off not being suspicious. Hopefully, I'll just appear to be an intern.

Grabbing a clipboard, I press my ear against the door, listening closely to make sure the coast is clear before slipping back into the hall. I take a deep breath and walk with confidence. Head held high and a purpose in my stride. I gradually look down at my clipboard as guards walk past me.

When I'm out of their sight, I let a breath of relief go and relax slightly. I keep the clipboard up as I continue toward the south wing.

"Excuse me, doctor!"

I freeze. I can do this.

"Well, I wouldn't call me a doctor yet," I laugh forcefully, "but how can I help you?"

A boy with scruffy hair stands a foot taller than me. He looks as young as I am. Maybe a year older.

"I was looking for Dr. Daring." He blushes.

"Well, from my understanding, he's pretty busy. Why?"

"Oh, I was wondering if he'd look over my biogenetics report." He gestures to the pack of papers in his hand.

"Sometimes he's in his office towards the north wing. Try there."

"OK. Thanks!"

I smile quickly before continuing my course. Well, that was easy but it was only because he was intern. A real one. I'm pretty sure all the doctors know each other here and if they don't, then they knew of me. My file wouldn't just be open with everyone. I can only hope they don't know my face. I come to a fork in the hall.

On the wall in between them are arrows pointing to both ways and the destinations they lead to. The right one will take me to the south wing. I hope Lily didn't betray me. I don't know what my plan is exactly, but I know I will at least try to find Darren's brother and others first. I'm safer in numbers.

My steps slow when I notice the heavily armed men in front of a door that's practically screaming it's the right one. Taking a deep breath, I walk towards them. I make sure to keep my cool air about me.

"Hello, gentlemen." I acknowledge them briefly and try to squeeze past them.

They step in my way.

"Identification." One grunts.

"Oh, um..." I pat myself down. "I think I've lost it." I frown and look up at them, pouting slightly.

"I suggest you go back and look for it."

"Couldn't I just have a warning just this one time?"

"No."

Dropping the bumbling cute girl act, I narrow my eyes. "Look, I need to get into that room."

"If you don't go back to where you've come from, you'll be put down. Do you understand me?" They grip their guns tightly.

I scoff. "Your warning is just as scary as a chihuahua."

They point their gun at me.

"I suggest you get that gun out of my face unless you're prepared to use it."

One of the men grins. I grab the end of the gun and shove it back into his face. He releases it. Tossing the clipboard at the other guard, I swing the gun at the guy standing next to him.