P5: Feeling Unreal

Darren takes me to a car parked around the so called warehouse. It's actually one of those trailer things that giant trucks are seen transporting. I'm not sure where he plans to take me, but I find myself fading in and out due to the drugs. No longer worried about me, Darren plays the radio softly. When I wake again, my brain feels like it's swimming in my head. A dull ache pulses along with my heartbeat in between my eyebrows. Slowly, I sit up. Covers slipping off of me. It takes a minute for me to focus. Where am I?

"Hello?" My voice cracks.

My mouth feels like I've been sucking on cotton for hours. The room I'm in has baby blue walls in stead of white. I relax slightly. At least I'm not back in the lab. The room is also smaller than mine was. Turning back the matching colored bedding, I swing my feet over the side of the bed. I shriek. My common attire, I'm wearing an over side purple shirt and tan shorts. I look around with a frown. Where am I? Other than the bed, there's a dresser and two doors in the room. There's not much else to hint as to where I am or whose place is this. Did Darren dump me with someone else?

"Hello?" I call again easing out of bed.

The door quietly opens as it tolerates the soft knocks of an intruder.

"Oh, good. You're awake. I thought I heard you." A young woman smiles from the door way. She wears a green polka-dotted white dress. Her auburn hair is pulled back in a French braid and her green eyes twinkle.

"Who...Who are you? Where am I? Where's Darren? And what...whose clothes are these?" I blush.

"Oh, your clothes were torn and such, so I threw them out. I didn't think you had the same taste as me. So, I opted with Darren's clothes for now." She plops down on the bed.

I raise an eyebrow. "Mind answering my other questions?"

"Oh," She giggles. "I'm Melody. I'm Darren's sister and you're at our private lake house." As soon as she says lake, the fresh water smells travel over to me.

I close my eyes and inhale the new aroma deeply. She stares at me with a serious expression. My cheeks warm again.

"Darren said you were different. Is that true?"

Am I? Another knock on the door brings another visitor.

Darren groans. "Is she really wearing my clothes?"

"I-I'm sorry. I just woke up and--"

Melody purses her lips. "It's not like you're missing them."

Darren huffs and runs his finger through his hair. "Find her some girl clothes, please. I'll take her out and get her some of her own." He barely looks in my direction.

"So demanding." Melody rolls her eyes.

"Whatever." He shuts the door behind him.

"Don't mind him." She focuses on me again. "Go shower and I'll attempt to get you some reasonable clothes." She gets up and goes over to one of the doors.

Inside are various types of clothing. I sit still on the bed, watching her. She hums to herself and glances back at me.

"Well, run along. Go bathe. Don't be shy."

I chew on my lower lip, contemplating my odds as my eyes darted from her to the bathroom door.

"Go," Melody says sternly, sounding like she'd drag me in there if I didn't move.

I slowly enter the bathroom. On the counter sits a towel and a wash cloth. Turning on the shower, I turn the hot water on. After disrobing and putting Darren's clothes into a hamper, I climb in. I flinch, nearly remembering the memories of Dr. Martinez, but my body relaxed once it grew accustomed it. The water runs over me as my thoughts wander. I lather my hair with strawberry shampoo and conditioners. The smells elicit a giggle. Normally, back at the lab, my shampoo was bland. Not having a smell. Rinsing off, my memories of yesterday creep up on me again.