P3: Breaking Free

Like a switch, the lights go out.

"Darn it!" I hiss.

The emergency lights kick in, but that only illuminates shadows. My heart echos through the halls as I press myself against the wall. I stop moving and close my eyes to slow my heart.

"Pull yourself together, Autumn. You can do this."

At first I think I imagine it, but the faint sounds persistently tickle my ears. Voices. My eyes snap open, thinking I can see the owners of the voices, but either side of me is empty of me.The voices are gone.

"Hello?" I whisper.

No one responds. My teeth dig into the inside of my cheek as I closes my eyes again.

"I told you, turning the lights off doesn't affect her." Someone hisses. My father.

"It's precaution, sir. Your little Miss Sunshine took out 3 of my men. She's a threat." A man mumbles.

My father grumbles something in response. Looking before I continue, I tiptoe in the opposite direction of them.

What did he mean it doesn't affect me? I'm just as blinded as they are. Why can I hear them from so far away?

A hand clamps over my mouth and pulls me through a door. Once behind the door, I flip my assailant over my shoulder and step on his chest to keep him down. How do I know how to do all these things? The wind knocked out him, he coughs.

"Jesus!"

"Who are you?" I bark quietly.

"Will you lay off? I just saved your life." He struggles to throw me off.

I apply pressure to my foot. "Who. Are. You?"

"Darren Campbell. I'm a guard here, but I'm not here to return you to your cell. Obviously." He growls.

Slowly, I step back, allowing him to get up. My body don't relax. He's still a guard. Therefore, he's not to be trusted. He rubs the back of his neck.

"You know who I am?"

He nods.

"What I am?" I ask softly.

"One of the few."

"One of the few? What do you want with me?"

"Need to know basis, kid."

I glare.

"Don't get any ideas. I could put you back out there with your father if you want."

"Fine." I growl, finally relaxing.

He relaxes as well.

I fold my arms. "Now what?"

"We wait. They'll think you've left the building when they haven't found you inside of the building then spread the search outside. But the inside cameras will be focusing on every moment until you're found."

"What then?"

"Need to know basis. Just know when I say 'jump', you better ask 'how high?'"

I roll my eyes and slide to the floor. It's in that moment everything crashes in on me. My fingers dig into my hair. Silent tears slip down my cheeks. A masculine groan fills the room. I bury my face into my face in my knees.

"What's wrong?" He sighs. His body heat warms my shoulder.

I only shake my head in reply. Awkwardly, he pats me on my back. Thump. Thump. I hiccup. He finally stops his ridiculous patting. If I wasn't so starved of comfort, I would've made him stop. I'm not a stupid dog.