P8: Angry Storms

The pitter-patter of rain outside my window wakes me. Before my bedroom door opening does. I sit up, pushing the covers back. My hand works to rub the sleep out of my eyes. Two shadows stand in the door way. My heart clangs rapidly in my chest.

"What's going on?" I ask. My voice still thick with sleep.

Melody folds her arms tightly across her chest. Darren walks into the room and turns on the lamp beside my bed then takes a seat beside me.

"We wanted to talk to you."

"Look before you guys say anything, I'm sorry." I look up from my hands. "Melody, I'm sorry. I had no right to say those things about your brother."

"Autumn--"

"Please. You both risked a lot to keep me here and I can't say thank you because they were for selfish reasons, but I can at least agree to help you."

Melody's hands fall by her sides. "What?"

They look at me with mirroring confused looks.

"I want to help you get your brother back."

"What?" Melody asks again, coming over to us.

I can see tears glistening her eyes as she knees beside my bed. She actually takes my hand into hers. I bite my lip and slip my hand from hers. Something about her kindness made me uncomfortable. I don't think Mel is all bad. I understand the circumstance that brought her to gain a tough exterior. To be protective of her brothers. But, I did nothing to warrant them.

"But I have a condition."

Their eyes grow hard, preparing for my next words. I take a deep breath.

"We have to save the rest of the kids there."

The visibly relax.

"And they have to have a place to go home to. Whether it be with their families or just a place to stay. They have to have something to walk way to."

They just look at me. Eyes will glance at each other before back at me again. I begin to fidget. I don't think I'm being too demanding, but was I? They could easily say no and dump me somewhere or they could actually "kidnap" me, leaving me locked away in this room and continue their plans without my assistance.

"OK." Darren finally states.

Or maybe--wait did he just agree?

"So, you agree?" I ask to make sure my awesome hearing didn't deceive me.

"Yeah." He shrugs glancing at Mel.

She nods. "And I'm sorry for the way I've treated you. You didn't deserve it. I just...things are hard to explain."

I nod, thinking of the story Darren told me earlier. "I'm willing to start over if you are."

"Yeah," she smiles, "that would be great."

"Now that you both have kissed and made up, I have to go into town." Darren stands to his feet.

Melody does the same and smacks his arm. He cuts his eyes at her and rubs his injury.

"Stay here with Mel and don't do anything to draw attention to yourselves like killing each other." He warns.

I roll my eyes along with Mel. "Just go already!" Mel and I cry out.

He glares. "Great. Now that you two are friends now, you both want to gang up on me." He grumbles before leaving.

"Did you have a nice nap?"

I nod.

"Good. How about a movie?"

"Yeah. Thank would be great." I smile.