P15: Waking Up

Dedicated to Rootbeerwolf95.

Darren's POV:

My head feels like it's wrapped up in a cloud when I finally come to. Remembering the last time I was awake Autumn and I were in danger, I bolt upwards.  I'm not in the woods any more, but I have my same muddy clothes on and Autumn is nowhere in sight. Everything is white and nearly blinding. My legs wobble under me as I stand from the floor and run to the door. My fists pound against it.

"Hey!" I yell. "Hey, is someone out there?"

I can't see anyone outside of the small rectangular window carved in the metal door.

"Hey!' I shout louder.

"Can I help you?" A calm female voice asks from inside of the room.

Turning around, I find a hologram of a blonde woman. She looks life like.

"Where's Autumn?"

"Autumn is contained."

"Let me out."

"I'm sorry, but I'm unauthorized to do that. Please, patiently wait as I notify someone that you're awake."

"Let me out of this room." I spit through my teeth.

"I am unauthorized to do that."

I go back to banging on the door. She's obviously no help.

"Please, don't do that." I ignore her and continue trying to get someone's, who is real, attention.

"If you continue to do that, I will have to put you down."

"Put me down?" I face her again. "Am I some type of animal to you?"

"I am only following the orders entered into my programming."

"You watched her grow up, didn't you? As an AI program, you should've developed some type of human emotions."

"Human emotions are a waste. I do not waste my time to mimic useless skills."

"If you're not here to help, you might as well leave." 

There has to be a way out of here. They have her and I can't let her get hurt. I can't let them take her away from me like they did Mel. I won't let them.

"Move away from the door." Someone commands from the outside.

I raise my hand and take a few steps away from the door. It slides open.

Children.

They appoint children as my wardens. This lab seriously needed to be destroyed ages ago.

"What are you causing so much noise for?" A kid shakes his gun at me.

He can't be that much older than sixteen. They're all monsters. All of these people that think wearing a lab coat makes them honorable are delusional. This is not for the betterment of mankind. This is murder of innocent children. They take away their innocence and harvest evil within them.

"What's your name kid?" I ask him.

"None of your business."

"My name is Darren." I press my palm to my chest. "I have a little brother in here younger than you. His name is David. A friend of mine and I are here to get all of you out."

"We don't want to leave. This is our home."

"Look--"

A harsh siren cuts through the building. I clasp my hands over my head trying to dull the blaring against my ear drums. The boy does the same and kneels on the ground. I hate to do it to him, but I need to get to Autumn. Taking the opportunity to make an escape, I punch the little boy in face, knocking him out. Guilt settles in my gut, but I grab his weapon and toss him over my shoulder.

I step out into the hall. People run around, ducking into rooms. Chaos fills the halls. Despite the guilt, I don't let it slow me down.

I guess I don't feel that bad.