#9

Camila woke up to the sounds of thunder from the outside of their little hiding place, and she blinked a few times, getting a sense of time. She checked her watch, showing that it was already one in the afternoon, and the heavy downpour has yet to let up. Camila looked back down at her lover, her soulmate, and her heart cringed. Lauren was sweating, her eyes closed but they were moving around rapidly under her eyelids, making Camila touch her forehead. Lauren was suffering from a high fever. Camila moved away, slowly moving Lauren onto her front and unwrapped her shoulder bandage, checking her wound. It looked better than the day before, and Camila walked over to grab the canister of fresh water, slowly pouring it over and washing the wound before taking the bottle of alcohol and pouring just a touch over her wound. She heard Lauren's breath hitch, but never woke up, and Camila silently wrapped up the wound again. Moving further down, Camila carefully undid the bandages on her thigh, and took a look at the wounds surrounding it.

It was still red raw, no infection could be seen yet, and Camila released a breathy sigh. If an infection set in, Lauren would be fucked. She wouldn't last the next couple of days without proper medical treatment. The only thing that she could do was dab alcohol over the wounds, not before washing it down with water and wrapping it back up. Lauren had a couple of bruises, some big and some small on her back, but nothing of worry. But in that moment of time, she took the time to trace the intricate tattoo on her back, how the circles are connected together towards the line that ran up to her shoulders with wordings of some sort. At the top, a large circle, bigger than the ones below took up the center of her back before her eyes trailed to the infinity symbol at the back of her neck. Lauren was astoundingly beautiful, and Camila knew she got lucky being with her. But now that the light was out, Camila had to make use of the light to get around and explore as much places as possible on the island. Especially food. She remembered how she could make use of certain herbs and with that she could actually find something of nutrients for them both. Wood as well needed to be collected. So, she took her now dry jacket, and jeans, folded her jacket up and placed it under Lauren's head as a makeshift pillow, her jeans was used to cover her legs and her shirt would be used as cloth for bandages.

Camila took Lauren's surfer jacket, putting it on for Lauren to at least keep her somewhat warm since her fever had developed earlier this morning as what Camila assumes. So she takes Lauren's bag with her, the pocket knife and throws the leftover wood into the still on-going fire and leaves. Lauren should be out until she gets back, knowing the fever she developed won't be letting her come about anytime soon. Camila had to make most of the daylight she had to get herself accustomed to the area around, seeing as a fact that they won't be getting rescued anytime soon. So she set off in the rain, stopping by the river to fill the canister before heading off into the woods. The rain was still pouring down heavily, still making use of the flashlight she had to see things clearly and inspected the leaves and trees around her. Camila was actually looking for a specific type of plant called Yarrow, which was said to help treat wounds and infections. Of course she wished she was back at the hospital to use the more advanced types of medicines, but being out in the middle of nowhere, she had to rely on her medicinal skills from back in the ages. It was the only thing that would help Lauren at the moment. The Yarrow plant helped to cure Lauren's fever if she boiled it, and with the metal canister, it made it possible to do so.

So she walked for at least an hour, before she reached the edge of a clearing, and she smiled happily to herself. There were actually rows of berries, that weren't poisonous to eat, from her memory of certain fruits that were edible and not edible to eat. Not too far over was a few palm trees that were near to the beach, which had coconuts growing in them. Empty the fruit and its essence, she could use it to fill it with water. So Camila set about collecting the berries, making sure to take a whole bunch with her, and stuffing them into her bag which was somewhat big, and she continued on forward towards the palm trees. Her thoughts drifted back to Lauren, wondering how her lover was doing. She pictured happy thoughts about the two of them, getting married, having kids. But she immediately frowned at the thought of her friends, her parents. Anger filled her heart and lungs, pissed that they caused so much hurt. She wondered again if they hadn't been at war with words with everyone, would they still be on that ship? Camila reverted her thoughts to the past ten years on what exactly happened to Lauren. She had so many secrets, so many walls built up, she wondered just how much her parents knew, how much her friends knew about it.