#6

Lauren scurried down the hallway of the office building, papers in her hand as she turned around to look at her surroundings before reaching the elevators. Her heart was beating faster than the speed of light, sweat trickled down her neck as she tapped the button for the lift continuously. She was scared. She had never felt this afraid for her entire life and clearly she knew today was going to be the day she would die. The doors to the elevator opened, and Lauren dived in, slamming her hand repeatedly on the button to close the doors. She pressed the button to her office floor, watching painstakingly as the doors closed. He was coming for her. She saw him with a gun in his hand, walking around looking for her. Lauren's mind raced around. She had to scan the files over.

It was the only way. The man who was hunting her like prey was none other than Carl Emerson himself. Lauren wished she hadn't taken up Dante Wallace's case at all to begin with, and because of her ego, her pride, she thought she knew what she was doing.

Dante Wallace, she remembered, was running as a candidate for the next presidential elections. He had a strong team going on for him, and she was brought on as his lawyer. They had been planning and getting ready when she stumbled upon some very unworldly information. You see, Dante had been making use of certain methods to spy on her ex-Girlfriends parents, Alejandro and Sinu Cabello, In which Alejandro was running for presidency as well. But what she found out was that Dante had planned on using the country's funds to play around with dirty politicians and sending the country into poverty. She had found evidence of his plans to hack into the people's lives, to listen in on their conversations, to tap their phone lines, ridding people of their freedom. And Lauren knew, that the people wouldn't want such a law. Dante had already been shuffling funds around under her own nose, and in fact, he had evidence on him for killing a senator who was to be running for presidency alongside Alejandro as well. Then, there was the other file she found. It had everything about Alejandro and Sinu, and also Camila. Camila, the woman that she still loved all so much, was being spied on? But when she read over the file, it had very little information about her, but more about Alejandro and Sinu. She knew those folks since she was young, and she knew how wonderful they had been. They didn't blame her or criticise for being gay, but only welcomed her into the family and allowed their daughter to love her just as much as her parents allowed her to love Camila.

Lauren knew she had to do the right thing. She could stand losing her job due to the powerful politicians that were supporting Dante, but as his lawyer, Lauren had to end her contract with him. She couldn't stand up for his ways that were unethical and the conspiracy to cause Alejandro and Sinu into a car accident, she couldn't allow that. But when Lauren retrieved the files from the office quietly, Dante's son, Cage Wallace and his right hand man were seated in the room next door where she snuck into, was deep in conversation which she had overheard.

"Once the Cabellos are out of the picture, we can enact our plan. My Father himself would never see it coming." Cage said arrogantly.

"I don't know. Dante wants to be President so he can play his war games with other countries around the world for money and oil, but the people are still in favour of Alejandro for he listens to the people's wants and needs. You wanting to overthrow your own Fathers campaign and become President will take a lot of work. Sooner or later someone is going to find out your swindling money from the banks to use for your own campaign."

"Ah but you see, once my father dies due to an overdose in his medication, and a letter placed there by me stating that he couldn't live life anymore due to the stress, nobody will be in my way. Sure there are other candidates that will be competing, but they aren't as favoured as I will be when elections roll around the corner."

"And what of the pesky lawyer?" Carl asked as if it was a walk in the park.

Lauren's blood ran cold.