Chapter Seven

"This way."

"No, that way."

"Love, it's this way. I've tracked down hundreds of my enemies for centuries. I trust my own judgment."

"Well, I trust mine. Female hybrids are smarter remember."

"You can't prove that."

"Yes I can. Go my way, and when I'm right, you'll have to stop being the alpha hybrid. And if I'm wrong, you can punish me any way you want."

Klaus glares at me. "Fine and it's only because I can't resist those beautiful eyes of yours." He kisses me on the cheek, and we walk right. I notice some of the bark on the trees are stained with red. And the twigs are broken on the ground beneath us. The killer might not be as organized or cunning if he leaves behind such an obviously messy trail.

"Does he want to be found?" I murmur.

"I don't know. This seems strange."

We come across a small clearing. A brook runs down the middle of it, and a field of poppies border it. It's beautiful, and I can imagine Hope swimming in the shallow waters.

"Look." Klaus points at the water. Instead of the clear, blue shade, the water runs red and a murky brown. A rock juts out of the water and a pair of feet stick out from it.

"There's someone lying in the water."

"No shit Klaus. Go check who it is."

He throws me a murderous look. "Why do I have to?"

"You saw him first."

"You're the alpha hybrid."

I wrinkle my nose and say," I don't want to be the alpha anymore. You can have the title back and as you being alpha, you have to go."

"Let's pray Hope didn't inherit your stubbornness." Klaus smiles and then flashes to the body. I don't see what he's doing because the rock conceals everything.

Klaus comes out from behind the rock, lugging the body behind him onto the grass. "He's unconscious," he calls. He drops the body onto the grass carelessly, and the man's arms lifeless falls across his chest.

I edge closer and study the man's face. He's handsome with chestnut brown hair and bow-shaped lips. There's multiple wounds and bite marks across his body. His jeans and white shirt are ripped, revealing a thin, pale body.

"He looks more like the victim than the killer," I comment and feel his skin. He's still warm and soft, although this skin is pruned from the water. I detect a tiny pulse from his throat.

"Victim or not, it's not everyday you see an unconscious man submerged in water with suspicious wounds," Klaus says matter of factly.

Suddenly the man sits up, breathing hard and his eyes are wild and big. He looks around sixteen and has that innocent look in his eyes. "You have to save me. The man- he's after me."

He looks at Klaus and horror flashes across his eyes. "You look like him."

"Who?" I ask gently.

"The man who attacked me. He looks like you," the man says, his eyes trained on Klaus. Klaus gives me a dubious look. I give the man the benefit of the doubt.

"Did you notice anything off about your attacker?" I question.

"He was thirsty for blood. He was raving about... Faith? I don't know something like that. He was old and powerful. Hungry for blood and revenge, I can tell by the crazed look in his eyes." The man rambles.

A strange look passes over Klaus' face. "Did he give a name?"

"Yeah. His name is Mike.. Michael."

"Mikael." Klaus' face is pale as a ghost.

The man looks confused. "You know my attacker?"

"Yes. He's my father. And he's the one whose terrorizing my city."