Chapter 25

***

Queen Phoebe was pacing the library again.

If I could just figure out how magic worked! She thought in distress.

She was wearing a beautiful light green dress. It was silky and the skirt flowed when she walked. It was one of her favorite dresses, Benedict had given it to her for her birthday a few years ago before the curse.

She walked along the shelves of books. Phoebe ran her fingers along the books has she walked by. She had read each book searching for answers to breaking the curse and each time she felt more hopeless than before. She was starting to realize that the curse was more complicated than she had ever thought.

The more Phoebe learned about magic, the more she was awed by it. It was so interesting and special. Only certain people had the Gift. Most the time people grew up using their Gift and never thought twice about it. But Phoebe realized Jeana hadn't been fortunate with her Gift. Jeana never knew about it until that fateful night when those horrible men had attacked her. 

Her anger was released through her magic and had obviously built up over the years. That's the reason Phoebe thought the curse was so strong. Jeana's bottled up energy created a super-curse.

Queen Phoebe finally left the library. She went to her favorite spot, the balcony. She and Benedict would often times walk along the balcony talking. They would talk about everything and anything. However, Phoebe felt like they were closest when they were silent. Actions speak louder than words.     

Phoebe leaned on the railing of the balcony, gazing into the forest. Her eyes traveled back and forth along the trees.

Until she spotted a shimmer of red.

Phoebe gasped!

She rubbed eyes and stared.

A few minutes passed by.

She didn't see any more red.

Phoebe sighed and turned to go back inside of the castle.

"I'll look one more time." She whispered.

Phoebe glanced over her shoulder. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a red dress.

A woman in red.

And she was coming out of the woods, toward the castle.

Phoebe's jaw dropped. "Merek..." She whispered.

"Merek!"

Phoebe yelled and raced into the castle to find her son.