Chapter 20

Joyce's heart almost stopped.

"Oh." She stammered.

Jeana laughed hardily. "Gwen! You must be new here."

"Y-yes." Joyce said.

"Well don't act like I'm some high and mighty person. I'm not."

Joyce was confused. All she had ever heard about Jeana was that she was proud, arrogant, selfish, and most of all... had a temper.

"But you are a great leader." Joyce replied.

"Haha! Thank you, Gwen. But I'm just another person."

There was a silence and then Jeana spoke again. 

"I suppose I am. However, when you can't find the thing you've been looking for, even when it's right under your nose, you feel like a pretty unfavorable leader."

"Have you made much progress?"

"No. Last I heard, she was in Wedgemore. I haven't heard anymore about her since."

There was another silence.

Joyce looked at Jeana. Her short blonde hair was disheveled and she had dark circles under her eyes. She had beautiful brown eyes, but they were dull with sadness. Her sleek leather outfit was worn and it looked like she had been sleeping in it for a while.

Joyce felt bad. She pitied her. She wasn't sure why, but seeing her like this made her feel incredibly sympathetic towards her. Joyce wasn't sure what to do. Should she take advantage of her while she was weak and sad? Should she let her go? Should she leave right now and go find the king? 

Jeana spoke again, "Gwen, you seem like a pretty bright young woman. Would you like to be my understudy? The one who would take over the Essence if anything happened to me?"

Joyce was speechless.

***