Chapter 33

When Joyce woke up, the mist was still there. What a relief! Her spell was strong. She had cast it on such short notice, that she felt like it would question it's strength. Thankfully, it was strong.

She got up and brushed her blonde hair. Her eyes looked tired even though she had slept well during the night.

But how could she have dark circles under her eyes when this was all a dream?

Joyce didn't know. 

She finished getting ready and headed down to the dining hall for breakfast. She went down the pastel hallways. The light coming in the windows was muted and less bright than the day before. 

Joyce entered the dining hall and walked down the stairs toward the table.

She was watching her footsteps, making her sure she didn't trip on her skirt. But when she looked up, she made eye contact with Merek. He was standing at the table, just staring at her. His stare was intense and sent chills down Joyce's spine.

Joyce hadn't realized she had stopped walking down the stairs. She broke her eye contact with Merek and looked down at her feet. She blushed and continued walking. 

She got to the table and sat down by Queen Phoebe. Joyce looked up and glanced at Merek. At that moment, Merek looked up from the table and caught her eye.

He smiled.

Joyce smiled back.

Servants brought various pastries and muffins and they were exquisite! Joyce wasn't sure if she had ever had a more fancy breakfast in her whole life. It was wonderful.

*** 

After breakfast, Merek came over to Joyce and asked, "Joyce, can I talk to you for a minute?"

Joyce was taken aback. 

"Of course, King Merek." She replied.

Merek guided her out of the dining hall and into the hallway.