Chapter 29

As Queen Phoebe guided Joyce through the castle, she walked side by side with her. Unlike Merek, Phoebe seemed to have all the faith in the world in her. Phoebe was a very special person.

"The library is my absolute favorite place in the whole castle!" Queen Phoebe said, "I'm sure you'll love it too!"

They walked along the pastel halls and Phoebe continued.

"One of the reasons why the library is so special to me is because my husband, King Benedict, gave it to me."

"Oh!" Joyce replied, "That's so sweet!"

Queen Phoebe smiled, "Yes, yes it is."

There was a silence between them, but they continued walking. 

"Queen Phoebe," Joyce started, "Could I ask you a question?"

"Of course my dear."

"Do you have any idea why King Merek wasn't taken by Jeana's curse like the rest of the men?"

Phoebe's facial expression changed into one of deep thought. She didn't answer for a while, but then she said, "Joyce, I can't be sure, but from what I've read in my library, I think it's because my Merek is immune to magic."

Joyce gasped. "Immune to magic?"

"Yes. It's rare, but that's the only thing that makes sense."

"That is so interesting." Joyce said in amazement.

"I know." Phoebe replied, "My son is a very special person. Not only is he the King of Dungannon, but he is a very sensible and educated man. He definitely has some unique talents."

Joyce nodded.

They had been walking for quite some time and had come to an amazing balcony. Queen Phoebe stopped at the railing of the balcony and said, "I think this is my second favorite place in the castle." Phoebe smiled and laughed.

"I can see why!" Joyce joined in laughing.

The two of them gazed out into the distance.

Joyce's eyes went back and forth. The view was beautiful! Like no view she had ever seen. She ran her eyes across the trees and along the mountains. But then, something caught her attention.

She stared at the edge of the forest. There was movement.

Phoebe had also seen the movement and was watching.

Joyce squinted and couldn't make out anything.

The bushes moved and rustled. And then a woman emerged. Joyce watched as the woman stepped forward. As she came out of the forest, Joyce could tell that she was an Essence member, by her sleek leather clothing and short hair. But suddenly, the woman glanced up at Joyce and locked eyes with her.

Joyce gasped!

It was Jeana.