Chapter 16

***

When Joyce woke up, it was light. She was lying in a bed, staring at the ceiling of what looked like an old wooden house. 

"Wha--" Joyce began.

"Shhhhhhh...." A woman's voice said.

Joyce looked to her side, where the voice had come from. There sat the strangest woman she had ever seen in her entire life! 

The woman was older, but not ancient. She had frizzy black hair that was snarled in several places. She had grime and grease on her face and hands. Her clothes were ragged and a nasty green color. Swamp green. Definitely swamp. The woman smiled at Joyce and her teeth were dark and rotten, and some were missing. She had the largest glasses known to humanity and they were cracked with wear.

Joyce recoiled and grimaced.

"You need to rest my pretty. You are in pretty bad shape." She said.

Joyce nodded and asked, "Who are you?"

"My name is Jacqueline, but you can call me Jackie." The strange woman replied.

Joyce looked down at her appearance. Thankfully, she was still Gwen. So she said, "Hi Jackie, I'm Gwen."   

"Gwen..." Jackie hummed. She had a thoughtful look on her face.

"So," Joyce said, "Where am I?"

"You're at my cottage in the swamp. It's in between Evanmere and Shadowmouth."

"I see." Joyce had somehow passed Evanmere when she was running from the outcasts. 

"You seem confused my pretty." Jackie said.

"Yes, I am. I'm not very familiar with these woods. I'm from Wedgemore."

"Yes, yes, I know that my honey."

"You do?"

"Yes, I do. You see, I predict the future."

"You what?"

"I predict the future, Gwen."

"How do you do that?"

"I have a gift, an all seeing eye. I have visions of what is to come. I saw a vision of you running in the woods and knew I had to save you."

"You had a vision of me?"

Jackie nodded.

"Have you had other visions of me?"

"I'm not sure, to be honest. I've had very foggy visions lately. However, I do know that you aren't who you're telling me you are."

Joyce panicked inside. "What do you mean, Jackie?"

Jackie leaned in closer and grinned.

"I know you are the woman in red."