Chapter 40

Merek steered Lilly towards a group of willow trees. Right before they reached the trees, Merek slowed Lilly to a trot and then to a walk. The willow trees made a cascading wall of leaves. Lilly poked her nose through them and slowly walked forward. Merek caught the willow branches and held them out of the way while Lilly went all the way through. 

"Oh!" Joyce gasped.

Behind the willow trees there was a clearing and a little river bubbling across the green grass. It was a secret oasis!

"This is such a pretty place!" Joyce said.

"I'm glad you like it!" Merek replied, "It's one of my favorite places on the castle grounds."

Merek guided Lilly underneath a large willow tree. He majestically hopped off and then held his arms out for Joyce.

Joyce hesitated.

"It's okay," Merek said softly, "I'll catch you."

Joyce nodded and swung her leg over Lilly's back. She started to slide down, but then slipped a little bit. But Merek caught her and slowly helped her down. 

Joyce looked at the ground and smiled.

She had never interacted with such a caring gentleman before. And the thing was, she really liked it.

Merek tied Lilly's reins out of her way, so she wouldn't step on them. Then he led her to the fresh green grass by the river and let her graze. 

He came back with a knapsack in his hand and led Joyce to a spot under the largest willow tree. He sat down against the trunk and gestured for Joyce to do the same. She awkwardly adjusted her massive red skirts and sat down next to him.

He opened the knapsack and took out several different flavors of croissants. Chocolate, raspberry, plain, and orange. Joyce took a raspberry one from his hand and began to munch on it. It was delicious! 

"Thank you." She said.

Merek nodded and started to munch on a chocolate croissant. 

They sat in silence, enjoying their croissants and the beautiful view.