Chapter 28

Merek invited Joyce to have some lunch in the dining hall. He led her from the lounge through the castle, into the dining hall. The castle halls were decorated in the most exquisite manner. The hallways were light pastel pinks, greens, blues, and yellows and had cream accents complimenting the royal style. As Joyce followed Merek, she was in awe over the beauty of it all! Merek of course walked nonchalantly down the hallways without even a second glance at the beauty of the castle. He must have grown up here and has been used to it all his life. Joyce thought.

They walked past a window and light a streaming into the hallway. It made the light colors twinkle and somehow made the castle even more beautiful.

Merek turned a corner and led Joyce into the dining hall. 

Joyce's jaw dropped!

"This is amazing!" She said out loud.

Merek turned and smiled.

"You like it?" He asked.

Joyce nodded.

It was a large open room with tall windows framed in silk curtains lining the walls. The floor was sleek and marble. It had a subtle design that made it shine bright in the sunlight. In the middle of the room was a large table that could fit more than ten people at it. At the table, there was a woman sitting at the head. 

She stood up and walked towards Joyce.

"The woman in red!" She said with a grand smile on her face, "We've been waiting for you!"

She embraced Joyce in a huge hug. 

Joyce was shocked. She didn't even know this woman, and yet she was hugging her like they were old friends. 

The woman stepped back and said, "Please have a seat!"

***

Joyce had been talking to Queen Phoebe for an hour or so, and she felt like she had know her all her life! Joyce could tell that Phoebe was the type of person to love everyone, no matter who they were. 

She was laughing and smiling. Her smile lit up the whole room! She was kind, beautiful, and very educated. 

Servants had brought the three of them lunch that consisted of a white creamy soup that was fresh and comforting. Along with the soup, there was some delicious bread. It was a simple meal, but tasted so good to Joyce that she wondered if this whole experience was really just a dream.

"Joyce," Queen Phoebe said, "Would you like to look at the books about magic in my library?"

"Oh yes, thank you my queen!" Joyce replied.

All during dinner, Merek had been quiet. He ate his food silently and Joyce wondered if something was wrong. She didn't know him well enough to read his emotions on his face, but she could tell he was deep in thought.

What was he thinking about? She wondered.

But Joyce's thought were disrupted when Phoebe got up from the table and gestured for Joyce to follow her.

Joyce stood up and started to follow Phoebe, but then glanced back at King Merek. He was resting his chin on his fist. Deep in thought.

"This way my dear." Queen Phoebe said, "He's got a lot to think about right now. Don't mind him."

Joyce nodded and followed Phoebe to the library.