Pseudoscience

by Frozen-Doopliss, Aug 25, 2016, 10:50:40 AM

Literature / Fan Fiction / General Fiction

A Greninja TF

"Don't go into the basement." That's what Will's brother Jason had told him day after day. Will, being a typical 8-year-old, was only made more curious about the basement by his older brother's insistence that he keep out. Jason had been known to spend hours down in the cold, sparsely furnished rooms below, bringing all sorts of strange packages and tools down there, and rarely bringing them back up.

Will had asked his parents about what Jason was doing down there, but they hadn't been too helpful. His mother told him that Jason was "just wasting his time and money down there." His dad, meanwhile said he was "chasing fairy-tales and pseudoscience," saying that the only reason he allowed it was "Jason's got to be allowed to make his own mistakes so he can learn from them." Both parents had gone out of their way to make it clear to will that he would be better off ignoring his brother's work.

Needless to say, this only made Will that much more curious. So when he heard his brother would be gone for several hours one evening, Will was determined to sneak down and get a look. After his brother had left, Will snuck up to the basement door. Giving the handle a quick jiggle, he found that Jason had left the door unlocked. Not wasting any time, Will opened the door and ran down the stairs.

Looking around, Will saw several whiteboards and papers with charts, graphs, and mathematical formulas, hanging from the walls, or strewn about the floor. On one of the room's two tables had a computer and monitor sitting on it, still turned on and running some sort of calculations while Jason was out. Also plugged into the computer was a device that looked like one of those heart rate monitors Will had seen on TV, not displaying anything at the moment due to being turned off.

The other table was covered in piles of various electronic bits; microchips, wiring, motherboards, and a bunch of other parts Will didn't recognize. As he looked over the table, two other objects quickly stood out to will; a small handful of Super Smash Bros. amiibo figures, and a pin with the Smash Bros. logo, the circle with two perpendicular lines running through it, were also on the table. Will, picked up this little pin to examine it further. Its diameter just happened to match the diameter of the amiibo's "trophy stands," the symbol on the pin even perfectly aligning with the symbol on the stands. From the front, it looked like any normal pin, with its smooth, flat surface. When he flipped it over, however, he saw that in addition to the standard safety pin, the back surface also had a number of connected microchips welded to the back.

Figuring the pin must have had something to do with the amiibos, will picked up his favorite of the figures, the quick and cool Greninja. Touching the figure to the pin, he heard an electric, crackling sound. Looking at the back of the pin, Will could see the ends of the chips glowing briefly. "I wonder if this means something cool will happen if I put it on..." Will said, opening the safety pin, and slipping the sharp end through the front of his shirt, before closing it again.

He suddenly felt a jolt from the pin, like that one time he rubbed his socks against the carpet before touching a doorknob, but a lot stronger. Will jumped and let out a yelp, but the pain quickly subsided. The sensation was replaced with a cold, clammy feeling, starting in his chest, under the pin, and slowly spreading across the rest of his body. Pulling up his shirt a bit to take a look, he saw to his great surprise that the front of his chest and belly had turned a crème color, while his back and sides turned a navy blue. What's more, his skin looked slightly slick and shiny, as if it had been covered in a thin layer of slime.

"Not slime, it's mucus." Will recalled the quote from a Disney movie. He guessed that was what it was, anyway. Seeing how the pattern of his skin's colors matched Greninja's he put two and two together as to what was happening to him rather quickly. "I'm turning into Greninja? Awesome! That's one of the coolest Pokemon out there!"

Will felt an uncomfortable pressure in his skull, as if it was being tugged and pressed into a new shape, like clay. The slime started to spread over his head as his face's skin turned the same crème color as his chest, blue spreading over the rest of his head. His eyes starting to move to the sides of his head, and it felt as if his head were getting a bit shorter, as well, his eyes nearly at the top of his new head. He felt his nose and mouth stretching a little in front of him, his nose shrinking down to little nostrils just above his mouth. He had a bit of a hard time looking around, given his eye's new positions.

His ears wiggled and stretched, growing nearly double the length of his head as they took a triangular shape behind him, and his hair seemed to shrink and recede. In place of his hair, a single ride rose up across the center of his head, starting at his nose, and trailing an inch or two off the back. A blue webbing formed between this ridge, and will's longer ears. Will felt around the back of his head as best he could to get a feel for what he looked like now, seeing how there were no mirrors around.

Next, Will felt that clammy feeling spreading down his arms. He found himself involuntarily stretching his arms out in front of himself for a moment, feeling a slight pulling as they became longer and thinner than he was used to. As the dark blue color reached his forearms, he felt a strange, sloshing sensation in them. He watched a spot on each forearm swell up like a bubble, the skin turning clear to reveal a reserve of water underneath. Will then felt a twitch in his thumbs and pinkies, and watched as they shrank down to nothing before his eyes. A flexible webbing formed between his remaining fingers as their skin turned blue, the fingernails seeming to dissolve into nothing as the tips of each finger swelled up and rounded out.

Will felt a twitching in the back of his pants, followed by a tugging. Pulling at the back of his pants, will got a glimpse of a short, thin tail. Next, will felt an aching in his legs, his thighs growing thicker and wider, muscles aching as they grew larger, more fit for long leaps. The skin on his knees turned a clear color, and began to swell like the bubbles on his forearms had. And though Will couldn't tell due to his shorts, another change was taking place on his thighs. On each one, wide, X-shaped indents were forming, the skin in these indents taking a lighter shade of blue. Several new glands opened at the edges of these indents in order to release water into them, to create Greninja's signature Shurikens in a flash.

Will nearly feel over due to the unfamiliar weight distribution of his new legs, his calves becoming far thinner, as if to make up for how large his thighs had become. He felt a twitching in his feet as the two end-toes on each foot grew out longer, while the middle three each shrank away to nothing. Between the remaining toes, webbing formed, and, like with his fingers, the tips of his toes swelled and rounded out.

Finally, will felt his tongue starting to grow. And grow. And grow. It felt thick, long, and sticky as he tried to hold it back, in his mouth, before he finally had to let it out. He maneuvered the sticky pink mass around his neck a couple times as best as he could with his thumb-less, webbed fingers, letting the rest of its length drape behind him. Will felt his tongue drop against the back of his shirt and pants, giving him an awkward taste of fabric, which he tried to ignore.

Will looked over his new body slowly. "This is so cool!" He tried to cheer, though his massively elongated tongue made producing comprehensible words a challenge. He decided to strike some cool Ninja poses... And as his body hit the floor, knocking several pieces of equipment off the table, he quickly realized how different his body proportions were, and how unfamiliar everything felt. And having a good long taste of the basement's concrete floor wasn't helping things much. He awkwardly managed to get on all fours, sitting in a squatting position seen in real world frogs, and tried to get his bearings, when he heard the door to the basement opening. "Oh no!" Will thought. "I hope mom and dad don't see me like this!"

Looking up, Will saw light pouring in through the door, as it opened to reveal Jason, who had apparently come home early. Jason stared at the Greninja at the bottom of the stairs, a look of confusion on his face for a few moments. This look of confusion faded, replaced with a look of frustration, which was summarily covered by a facepalm, when Jason realized the frog was wearing Will's clothes.

"Will... Didn't I tell you to stay out of the basement? You're lucky I hadn't gotten around to programming the mental transformations yet, or you'd be sitting around looking for a Pokemon Trainer to take orders from." Jason closed the basement door behind him, and walked down the stairs. He sighed as he looked at the mess of electronics Will had knocked over. "I'm not changing you back until you help me clean up this mess."