Chapter 39

Really Gemma?

What Olli?

Who was the guy you were with?

When?

The day before you played Finland!

That was James. He is an old friend of J.T.'s and I's.

You two seemed more than friends!

Olli, we aren't. We just haven't seen each other in years since he moved away. We were catching up. You have to trust me on this!

I'm not sure! You two did seem really close, closer than 'friends' should be!

Olli Määttä, you can't be pissed at me about this! You're the guy that I like, you're the guy I choose to spend my free time with!

Gemma, if you really liked me, then you wouldn't of done what you did with that guy!

WE DID NOTHING! And if you really liked me, then you can put this behind you!

Olli doesn't respond to my text. Now I'm in a terrible mood for our gold medal game today against the states.

"Ready to go?" Emily asks. "Let's go!" I stand up and march down to the bus.

Once we get to the bus I plug in my headphones and listen to music on the way. I don't want anyone to talk to me right now. I'm pissed about the fight with Olli. As if he doesn't trust me about what happened between me and James.

~

My line gets out onto the ice and I bring the puck up the ice as USA changes their lines. I'm in on a breakaway and I deak the goalie it and go top shelf for the first goal of the game.

"Good goal Gem!" All the girls say as we skate to the bench. I don't say a word to them, I'm still pisses at Olli.

"Are you okay?" Emily asks as we sit on the bench. "Perfect!" I say in a grumpy tone. Emily doesn't respond to my reply. I keep staring out on the ice and watching the game.

~

The game is in the third with 1 minute left. The score is tied at 2.

We pull Shannon and the coaches decide to put me out on the ice.

I skate out onto the ice and into the USA end. This is pure luck but, when I get into the USA end, the puck comes out of the scramble in front of the net and I bang it into the open part of the net.

I put us in the lead of 3-2 and there's 25 seconds left. The Canadian players one the ice come and jump on me. We cheer and go shake hands with our players in the bench.

In this brief moment I forget about Olli and how mad I am about him.

The 25 seconds on the clock run out and all of us Canadians go to Shannon and we celebrate our gold medal win.

All of or gloves and helmets are off and out sticks are scattered across the ice.

We go shake hands with the Americans and tell them how great they played. Then we line up on the blue line and wait for our names to be called so we can get our gold medals and then a group picture.

gemmamiller16

50k likesFirst of many hopefully!!🥇#olympics #hockey #firstplaceCommentsKayla_ermold Congrats Gem from all of us WAGS

50k likes
First of many hopefully!!🥇#olympics #hockey #firstplace
Comments
Kayla_ermold Congrats Gem from all of us WAGS.
Karen_samuels3 All of us lady pens are proud of you!
Kletang_58 Olli's a lucky guy! Congrats Gemma!

Letang's comment made me think of Olli again and the fight we had. I try to keep my mind off it but it's kinda hard.

The next day

Everyone is packing up and getting their suitcases packed before we go to the airport and say goodbye to everyone.

"Did I ever tell you how much I loved your goal yesterday?" Emily asks as she looks over at me. "Many times!" I grin. "I'm going to miss sharing a room with you!" Emily tells me. "Same here!" I smile.

We finish packing and walk to the bus so we can go to the airport.

~

Once we arrive at the airport and before we all leave, the coaches want to tell us something.

"Okay girls. That was an amazing tournament. You all played hard and worked your asses off. We can't wait to coach you girls again in four years. Good luck in your other hockey and we all hope you do well. See you guys soon!" They say.

The team says our goodbyes before we part ways to go back to where we are all were before the Olympics.

***

Many many many hours later, I arrive back in Pittsburgh. I get my bag and hockey sticks and then my suitcase.

I call a cab so it can drive me back to my apartment.

~

Once I get back to my apartment I but everything away and lay on the couch and turn the tv on.

I would be hanging out with Olli now but he's still mad at me. I still can't get over how he didn't trust me about James. This fight really bugs me.

Even though it's 8:00 I get changed into my pyjamas and go to sleep. This past month has tired me out.

Oh my god, I totally forgot about me and Olli's two months. I don't know if we're even dating now since the fight. We haven't talked since the fight the other day.

Damn I miss him!