Chapter 4

Olli and I arrive back at his place. We go sit on the couch and watch a little tv. "So Gemma. How's your hockey going?" Olli asks. "Good. We are on a winning streak and we won our game today!" I smile. "Good. What was the score?" "6-0." "Who'd you play?" He asks with a big smile. "Buffalo." "Holy moly..." "Ya. They're also right behind us in the standings so it's good that we go the win today!" "Ya. I play Saturday night so hopefully we win that game. We haven't been doing so well..." "Ya. I've seen the games. You guys can't score!" "Ya. We really need to work on that."

Olli and I keep talking about hockey for a while. I'm glad I have another friend to talk hockey about.

*

After about and hour I decide to go home and rest for my other game tomorrow.

"I better go Olli. I have another game tomorrow and I should probably rest up for that!" I explain to him. "Okay. Good luck in your game!" Olli says as he walks me to the door. "Thanks." I turn around and smile. "See you Friday?!" I say. "Ya!" He smiles and hugs me. I wasn't expecting that. I'm not much of a hugger. But I hug back anyway. We release from the hug and I walk out the door to my car and back to my apartment.

By the time I get back to my apartment it's 6:00 and I decide to run a hot bath to loosen my muscles.

Then I put on my pyjamas and lay down on the couch and watch some shows.

I hear my phone ring and when I look to see who it is, it's Carley.

"Hey Carley. What's up?" "What are you doing right now?" "Watching tv." "Okay. Can you come over? Me, you and Melissa need to talk!" "Yeah. Be over soon."

I quickly change and go over to see Carley and Melissa.

*

I knock on the door and Carley comes to let me in.

"What's up?" I ask concerned. "My Sister was in Philadelphia yesterday walking around and she recognized some of the players from the team. She heard them say that they were going to try and run out goalie and try and hit you Gemma!" When Carley tells me this I am in shock. In girls hockey your barley allowed to hit. If you do you either get suspended or a 5 minute penalty. "Oh my lord. Gemma we have to protect you!" Melissa says. "Whoever is in net tomorrow, protect them more than me. I can protect myself!" I tell them. "Are you sure?" Melissa asks. "Yes. It's more important that our goalies don't get injured!" I tell them. "Whatever you say. But we are still going to protect you!" Carley says to me. "Yeah. You are our best player!" Melissa mentions. "Sshh no I'm not!" I smile and say to them.

We continue to talk until it's 9:00 and Melissa and I head back to our apartments.

*

When I arrive back to my apartment I see I have a text. I open it and it's Olli.

Hey Gem. What time is your game tomorrow?
Hey Olli. It's at 12:00
Sweet. Me and some of the guys are going to come. Score a goal.
I'll try!

I go curl up in my bed watching Netflix on my laptop.

*

I wake up at 9:30 and I shower and put my clothes on to go to the rink. But before I go to the rink I stop at Starbucks to get an iced coffee.

As I arrive at the rink at 10:20 I see a few other girls on the team huddled in the corner. I walk over to see what's going on.

"Hey what's up?" I say. "I'm just telling them about what I told you and Melissa last night." Carley says. I nod and she keeps telling them.  Good thing Shelly, our starting goalie, was here to hear this.

*

We all start getting ready for the game and warm up at 11:30. I'm excited for this game even though girls from Philly could try and hurt me.

*

We take the ice for the game and I'm starting with my regular wingers Karen and Lily.

For most of our shift we are in the other end. Which is good because our line is probably the fastest line on the team.

Once we get off I look around the rink and I spot Olli, Sidney, Kris, Patric, and Brian Dumoulin. I didn't think Olli would bring those guys. Especially Sidney and Patric, they are my favourite penguins forwards.

By the time I'm done thinking of who Olli brought it was my turn to go out.

When I step on the ice I get a pass from Melissa I'm on a 1-1, I'm not the greatest in this situation. But I try to dangle around the girl and when I just get around her she slashed my left knee and I fall to the ice. It was a hard slash, I could tell she had two hands on her stick when she did this to me.

I try to stand up and when I take a step with my left knee and I fall to the ice again. This time I stay on the ground until the trainer comes to see me.

"Gemma what hurts the most?" She asks. "My left knee. It's more on the outside!" I explain to her. "Okay. We'll need to get your sock and shin pad off to get a better look." She motions for two players to help me up and carry me off the ice.

Once I sit in my stall I take off my sock and shin pad and I see a faint bruise on the outside of my knee. The trainer comes in and bends down to examine it.

"Well. It looks like it's just a bruise. That's good. How does it feel?" "It still hurts. But I'm sure I can still play!" I tell her. "Gemma, I'd say you shouldn't play so you can rest it." "No. I'll put ice on it then I'll go back out and play!" "Gemma you'll hurt it more!" "I don't care. I knew they would try and hurt me. I still want to play!" "Fine. I'll grab some ice!" She caves in.

She passes me the ice and I ice that and after a bit the team comes in.