Chapter 24

I looked at Frank as he let me into his house. I smiled softly as I looked at the dim lights and candles everywhere.

"Welcome to dinner and a movie at casa de Iero," he said.

I smiled softly as we went to the table and he pulled the chair out for me. I sat down, watching as he sat across from me.

"I made my special, pizza rolls with chips on the side," he said.

I giggled softly, looking at my plate.

"And to drink I stole a bit of my mom's wine," he said. "But don't tell her that. We also have some ice cream for dessert, which we will eat while we're on the couch watching the movie."

"Why are you doing all of this?" I asked quietly.

"Because I love you," he said. "And we've never really been able to go on a real date so I made this for us so we can go on our first date. We had homecoming but I mean that I ended up going a little shitty at first but I want this one to just go perfectly. I promise I will make this the most perfect date for you ever."

I smiled softly, reaching across the table to hold his hand.

"I love you too," I said.

"How have you been?" He asked. "It's been a few days since I've seen you."

"I've been fine," I said.

"No you haven't," he said. "Please, Baby, please talk to me."

"Frank, I-I don't want to talk about it," I said.

"It can help you feel better," he insisted. "If you want I won't even say anything, I'll just keep my mouth shut and let you get it all off your chest."

"I don't wanna ruin this night," I whispered.

"You won't ruin it, I just want to make sure you're okay," he said, giving my hand a soft squeeze. "Nothing could ever ruin this night for us. Now, tell me what's wrong, Gerard."

I sighed softly. "Well, my mom found out I had snuck away with you for Christmas. Sh-she was so fucking pissed at me. Thankfully I haven't seen her much since then because she's gone off to get high again but I know she's gonna come back and I'm going to have to see her again and I just don't want that, I don't want it ever. And I learned that my dad isn't even my dad. M-my mom got knocked up by some dirty trucker while she was high.

"I didn't even know that she did drugs before my dad died, I thought she just started after the accident. She must've only done it occasionally before because I had never even noticed anything but after they died she must've gotten worse and just started doing drugs all the time. I-I just remember her being a great mom when I was little. I remember loving her and I remember her tucking me into bed and reading me stories and singing me songs. I-I really miss my old mom, the mom I had before my dad and brother died."

Frank's thumb ran over the back of my hand as I sniffled.

"You want me to say something or do you just want to rant?" Frank asked.

"I-I don't even really know anymore," I mumbled.

Frank smiled and squeezed my hand.

"Advice then," he said. "It doesn't matter if your dad is biologically your dad or not. He is still your dad. He was there for you to change your diapers and hold you when you cried at night. He was there when you were sick and he was there for your school plays and parent-teacher conferences. He was there when you first learned to ride a bike and when you first learned how to ride a bike. He taught you to play catch and helped you with your homework. He cared for you, he loved you. Being a father isn't just about DNA, he is your dad."