Chapter 9

"Frank, scoot closer," Ms. Iero said. "What are you doing? Frank!"

"Mom, this is embarrassing," Frank complained.

"Just let me get photos," she said.

Frank grumbled unhappily. He held my hips as his mom took photos.

"Gerard, does your mom want photos too?" Ms. Iero asked.

I shook my head sadly and Frank kissed my cheek.

"We should really get going now, you've taken at least fifty photos now," Frank said.

"Okay, well, you two have fun," she said. "And I'm going to your grandpa's tonight so I'll be back tomorrow afternoon. You two can come back here, I don't know if homecoming night is like prom night but make sure you use protection and--"

"Oh my god! Mom!" Frank exclaimed in disgust. "Okay, we're leaving now."

Frank pulled me out as I giggled. Jamia let us borrow her car and we got in, driving the short distance to the school.

"Are you okay?" Frank asked as we parked.

"Yeah, I'm just...just nervous," I said. "I've never been to one of these things before."

"It'll be fun," he promised. "We'll just dance together all night long."

I nodded, taking a deep breath before getting out of the car. We went to the door and stood in the small line. You could hear the music blasting and decorations littered the outside of the building.

"Tickets?" The teacher asked.

Frank handed her the tickets, he had a huge grin on his face.

"Y-you two are coming as a couple?" The teacher asked. "I'm sorry but boys can only be accompanied by girls."

"Are you shitting me?" Frank asked. "We paid for these tickets and everything and you're not gonna let us in?"

I shrunk into myself in fear. Oh god, it's going wrong. Everything always goes wrong.

"You can have a refund," she said, taking some money from the cash box in front of her.

"Money? This is our fucking homecoming dance, our last homecoming dance at that," Frank said. "You can't just--"

"Frank, please," I whimpered, tugging his arm.

He sighed, taking the money. We got back to the car and I sniffled.

"Oh no, baby, please don't cry," he said.

My eyes watered as I turned away from him.

"She's just a stupid fucker," Frank said.

"I can't believe I got my hopes up," I mumbled.

"It's okay to have hope," Frank said. "Hope is what drives people in life."

"I have no hope," I mumbled. "And now she knows we're together!"

"I'm sorry," Frank said quietly.

He held my hand as we drove home. I started towards my house but the grabbed my arm.

"The night's not over yet," he said.

"What's the point, Frank?" I asked. "It's already been ruined. I just want to go home and cry and then sleep."

"Well, you can do that or you can come with me to join me in plan B," he said.

I bit my lip before following him to his house.