Emotions

"Young angel, Helen. So beautiful. And we will be taking good care of you both tonight. And you'll tell him hello, from the both of us, Helena?" The owner says as he pulls out our chairs for the both of us.

"Of course." Helena says with a smile as she sits down.

"We'll give you a minute." The owner of the restaurant says with a friendly smile before he and his wife walk off.

"Thank you." I say as they walk off.

"I heard about your mother's accident. Is she going to be okay?" Helena questions once we're alone.

"She's doing fine, thank you for asking." I answer as pick up the menu.

"I'm glad. Now, why would someone like you want to go into business with my father? He's a horrific man." Helena states.

"You don't approve?" I ask.

"We share a name. And that name defines whether we want it to or not. You've already made judgements on me, like I've made judgements about you." Helena answers sharply.

"Oh, yeah. We should probably ask if they have a kid's menu available for me." I chuckle.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you heard that." Helena says quickly.

"No, it's fine, Helena. We're in the same boat, you and I. It's all about our last name. People don't even know us and yet they've already got a crystal picture of who we are. And, when I first met you, I wasn't judging you in the way you're thinking. I was admiring you on your beauty, that's all." I say sincerely with a soft and small smile.

:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:-:/:/:/:/:/

"People always ask me what I missed most while I was away, you know besides my friends and family. They're always expecting me to say, the basics you know? Like, air conditioning, fast food, toilet paper." I say.

"It's not like you can say it, because they'll turn to you and give you the pity eyes." Helena adds.

"Exactly. And, I don't want that." I sigh.

"So what is it? What did you miss the most?" Helena questions.

"The noise. God, I missed it. The busyness of the city, the buzzing of the people, just how oblivious we were to things." I answer sincerely.

 "That's beautiful, Thea." Helena says softly. 

"That's beautiful, your cross." I say as turn the attention back on her.

"It's a gift, from my fiancé." Helena says.

"Fiancé. I, uh, didn't know you were engaged." I cough.

"I'm not anymore. He, um, died." Helena says sadly.

"I'm sorry." I say softly.

"Me too. That was my crucible." Helena says softly.

"Well, its nice to be with someone I can be honest with, be myself." I say.

"It's nice to be with someone who knows how hard it can be." Helena says as well, with a small smile.

The moment is interrupted by my vibrating phone. 

"I'm really sorry." I say sincerely as I reach into my pants pocket, taking the phone out.

"It's okay, take it." Helena encourages as she takes a sip of her wine.

"Yeah?" I answer.

"Something came up. You gotta get out of there and call me back." John says over the phone, before hanging up.