Sudden pt.2

Arriving at Avi's residence in excruciating emotional pain, I knocked on the door. I watch it hesitantly open to find a sobbing mess of a man behind it. He barely croaks out a sound as a greeting, which I immediately accept.

"I'm so sorry Avi. I didn't even think that you would need me until I left".

"That's... okay. I had reason to believe you were in shock. I'm not going to blame you for your actions."

We share a knowing glance and fall into each other's arms, crying empty tears with our dried out eyes.

"What are we going to do, Mitchie?" Avi desperately pleaded to me as if I was otherworldly and had all the answers.

"I don't know, Avi. I don't know."

And I really didn't. What was to become of the band? Will Avi go solo now that he's by himself? Will we have to break it to the fans ourselves? Who told his family? I don't know anything, I just have questions.

I break the embrace we had formed and go to call his parents to ask them how it even happened and to send my condolences. They answer, but I can only hear faintly through the line "Oh it's the band, oh it must be killing them too, oh I can't do this right now" and then the phone hung up. Maybe I'm not meant to have answers. I just need to comfort Avi right now, that's my job. I walk back to the living room where he was. There he sat in silence, no longer crying, but also no longer moving. I can tell that he has become numb.

"Avi, do you want me to do anything for you?" I gently prod.

"Just... come here." He states without averting his gaze from the centre of the floor.

"Okay".

I walk over and sit beside him. He opens his arms and holds me tight, still not moving his head from his focal point. We sit in a silence that's so deafening that I almost lose my sense of reality. I turn to Avi and place a gentle kiss on his cheek, grasping his head with my hands and gently stroking his hair to calm him. He makes no sound.

Suddenly I'm hit with a wave of exhaustion. My eyes start to droop and my balance falters. I fall asleep on Avi and try to forget about the world right now.

Upon waking several hours later, I find Avi about half way through a bottle of vodka, clearly pretty hammered.

"Hey, you finally got-woke up!" He slurs his exclamation.

"Did you drink all that, Avi?" I question, concerned.

"No, some of it was already gone. I'm being safe, don't worry your pretty little head."

"Might as well join you, if it helps me cope, it helps me cope!" I state, knowing this was a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

We continue to drink until the bottle is completely empty. Both of us have little motor skills left and end up passing out on his couch. The last thing I remember was a passionate kiss we shared, full of mixed emotions of love, grief, relief, and pain. We love each other, we're grieving for Kevin, the alcohol is relieving us of most of our thoughts, but the pain of knowing that when we wake up, he's still gone is what dominates our minds. We consumed so much alcohol that I can't even have coherent dreams. Everything has devolved to nothing. This is the conclusive end to a chapter in our lives. We fell in love by chance thanks to a friend we've now lost. In a way, we owe Kevin for bringing us together. Now he's gone, we're blacked out, and the metaphorical curtains are closed.

THE END