Endings and the Volturi

A massive fire burns as the Cullen's and the wolves hurriedly drag what's left of the newborns to it for the incineration. A purple-black smoke rises. Edward and Bella race out of the trees, bee-lining for Alice and the rest of the Cullen's gathered near the fire. "How long?" Edward asks, holding Bella's hand.

"A few minutes. Maybe ten," Alice answers.

Bella scans the field for Jacob as Rosalie says, "They timed their arrival well."

"Probably hoping the newborns took a few of us out," Emmett says, smirking. Edward stops as he sees someone by the fire.

"What's she doing here?" Edward asks, watching the newborn. Bella looks to the fire by which cowers the newborn Bree.

Esme looks at her before looking back at Edward, leveling a look that just dare his to defy her words. "We offered her safe haven if she stopped fighting, she took it."

"The pack needs to leave. The Volturi won't honor a truce with the werewolves," Edward reminds.

"Where's Jacob?" Bella asks.

Edward points off into the trees. "There-" Jacob as a wolf emerges from the tree line. Bella sighs with enormous relief. He sees her as well, starts toward her but suddenly, he hears a vicious snarl coming from behind him in the woods, spins to see a light grey wolf, Leah, cornering one last male newborn who was hiding. Leah charges. "Leah, don't!" The male newborn maneuvers out of her way, spins and grabs her ruff, fiercely yanking her off her paws but Jacob leaps on the male newborn, tackling him.

They roll into the clearing where Jacob bites at him but the male newborn gets his arms around Jacob and crushes him! Jacob howls in agony. Bella sees this from afar. "Jacob!" Bella cries. The other wolves are instantly there and pounce on the male newborn, their teeth forcing him to release Jacob who crumples to the ground. As they pull him apart. Edward and Carlisle appear at Jacob's side.

Bella races across the field to reach Jacob. Jacob transforms into his human form, grotesquely twisted and broken, barely able to breathe. Carlisle quickly examines him as he writhes in pain; Edward steadies him, gripping his hand.

Edward looks him over. "Hold on, Carlisle is gonna take care of you."

"The bones on the right half of his body are shattered," Carlisle tells the wolves. Jacob, in excruciating pain, squeezes Edward's hand.

Bella reaches them, dropping to her knees beside Jacob. She strokes his face, trying to comfort him. "Bella," Jacob says, finding comfort in her presence.

"Jake, I'm right here."

Sam, Paul, Jared, Embry, Quil and Leah, now in human form race up. "Jacob, you idiot. I had it."

"Leah," Sam silences.

"I need to set the bones before his accelerated healing kicks in. It's already starting," Carlisle's about to start but Edward interrupts.

"We need to get him out of here. We're not gonna win a fight with the Volturi," Edward says.

Sam nods, "We'll take him back to Billy's."

Carlisle stands up as the wolves surround Jacob. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Hang in there, Jake," Bella says. She digs into her pocket for a moment, pulling out a small vial of dreamless sleep. She tugs at the cork before giving Jacob a single dose. Carlisle looks on, startled when Jacob falls limp after a moment. "Sam, there are exactly two doses left in this bottle. It should keep him out for a few hours. Listen carefully, you can't give him more until after two hours and ONLY if he is awake and coherent, understand? Two doses so half and half."