First Day of School

Isabella sits at the head table beside Severus at the edge. She was watching as the first years walk in. Under her disguise of a teacher, she smiles and nods at the students who look towards her.

McGonagall leads everyone through two large doors and into the Great Hall, where there are four long tables with many kids, as well as floating candles. The roof appears to be the sky. "It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History," Hermione instructs.

"All right, will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words," McGonagall cries over the crowd.

Dumbledore rises from the main table. "I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch-" Dumbledore signals to ragged old man with a cat with red eyes. "Has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger," McGonagall says.

"Oh, no. Okay, relax," Hermione mumbles to herself. She goes up and sits on the stool.

"Mental that one, I'm telling you," Ron says.

Harry nods in agreement. "Ah, right then hmm right. Okay Gryffindor!!" the sorting hat calls.

The crowds cheer as Hermione jumps off with a smile. "Draco Malfoy," McGonagall calls next.

Draco saunters up proudly. The tattered hat nearly freaks before touching down on Draco's head. "Slytherin!" he cries, not even being seated onto the boy's head.

"There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin," Ron cries.

"Susan Bones," McGonagall calls. A small, redhead goes up. Harry looks around and spots a black haired, pale teacher, Severus Snape, looking at him. His scar hurts.

"Ahh!" Harry gasps. He puts his hand on his forehead.

"Harry, what is it?" Ron whispers.

"Nothing it's nothing, I'm fine," Harry assures, staring at Professor Snape. Harry glances quickly towards the teacher beside Severus before turning back to the Sorting Ceremony.

"Let's see I know Hufflepuff!" the Sorting hat cries.

"Ronald Weasley," McGonagall calls.

Ron gulps and walks up. He sits down and the hat is put on. "Ah!" the sorting hat says suddenly, making Ron jump. "Another Weasley. I know just where to put you- Gryffindor!!"

Ron sighs in relief as the crowd cheers again. "Harry Potter," McGonagall calls. Everything goes silent. Harry walks up slowly and sits down.

"Hmm difficult, very difficult. Plenty of courage I see, not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh yes, and a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?" the sorting hat mumbles.

"Not Slytherin. Not Slytherin," Harry whispers in a mantra.

Sorting Hat: Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know. It's all here in your head. And Slytherin will help you on your way to greatness! There's no doubt about that! No?"

Harry whispers, pleading, "Not Slytherin anything but Slytherin."

"Well, if you're sure better be Gryffindor!!" the sorting hat cries. There is an immense cheering and Harry goes to the Gryffindor table.