Explaining to Cedric

Isabella stands in a graveyard as events happen around her. A green light catches her eye and she watches as Harry crumbles in pain, crying out as Cedric goes flying from the killing curse.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Isabella sits up fast in the hospital wing, breathing heavy. Tears stream down her face. She's instantly enveloped into someone's arms as she cries, terrified. She fights, trying to get free and gets out of the bed, trying to get out of the room. "Izzy!" Cedric calls. Isabella turns back to him and sighs in relief in seeing him, sinking to the floor. Cedric grabs the blanket and wraps her up quickly before setting her back on the bed. "Isabella, you're alright. It's okay. You're safe."

"Wh-what hap-p-pened," Isabella asks.

Severus steps into the wing and smiles when he sees Isabella awake. "How do you feel?" Severus asks. He pulls Isabella into a gentle hug before summoning some gloves for her to wear because her fingers are still a little blue.

"I'm r-reall-ly cold," Isabella starts. "A-and conf-fused."

Severus nods. "You were in the lake too long and got hypothermia. You'll be alright in a few days but for now, be careful and rest up." Isabella nods gently. "You can either stay here or in your room connected to mine."

"W-with yo-u," Isabella asks.

Severus nods. "I'll bring you there after you speak with Cedric. You've had a pretty rough day."

Isabella nods. "Harry?" She takes down her mental shields for a moment, letting Severus in to see her thoughts.

Severus glances at Cedric for a moment. "I'll see what I can do. You just rest, alright?"

Cedric watches as Severus leaves before chuckling harshly. "Even after all of this, you get hurt and Potter doesn't show his face, you still want to know about him," Cedric notes. "You need to give up on him, Isabella. He doesn't care about you if he won't even appear when you're hurt! I've been here the entire time for you, making sure you're alright!"

Tears gather in Isabella's eyes. "I-I kno-ow, Ced," Isabella starts. "I'm- I'm sorry. Harry- he-"

"You know what," Cedric starts. "Let's just leave this be, alright. You need to focus on getting better."

Tears start to fall down Isabella's cheeks and she turns away, curling into the bed. Severus runs in a moment later. "What's going on?!" Severus demands.

"We got into an argument. I'm sorry, Professor," Cedric pleads.

"Leave," Severus states. He picks Isabella up gently, keeping her in the blankets before leaving.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Isabella pours over her cauldron for a number of days as Severus teaches, creating new potions and testing the results with small creatures. Severus watches her carefully, knowing she won't accept his help. She's used every ingredient combination possible, including her own blood. After a few weeks, she finally starts cheering loud enough to be heard during his class.

Isabella hasn't spoken to Cedric since that night but Harry comes by regularly. Severus told her that once Cedric tried to stop by as Harry was leaving, got upset and left before seeing Isabella.

Severus has spent his free time talking with Dumbledore. It's a hard fight but he doesn't give up. Finally, just two weeks before the final task, he agrees.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Isabella sits on a couch in Dumbledore's office with Harry. She's curled into his side as he tries to keep her calm. Severus stands across the room as someone knocks. "Come in," Dumbledore calls.

Cedric steps in a moment later and smiles at Isabella before realizing who she's with. He adopts a cold look, stoically looking towards Dumbledore. "You wanted to speak with me, professor?"

Dumbledore nods. "Indeed, Mr. Diggory. I understand there is some tension between you and young Isabella here."

"I have no problem with Isabella," Cedric is quick to say. "I just don't agree with how she's started acting this year after meeting and hanging out with Harry." Cedric turns to Isabella. "Izzy, you've completely changed since you started hanging out with Harry. You shouldn't have to change yourself to be friends with someone, no matter how famous."

"Mr. Diggory," Dumbledore says. "I understand that you have Isabella's best interests at heart. I'm afraid you just don't quite have all the facts. She has been hanging out, as you say, with Mr. Potter for a number of years now. Since he started learning at Hogwarts, in fact." Cedric's eyes widen and he turns to Isabella. Before he says anything, Dumbledore continues. "Mr. Diggory, there are things that you don't know and that we can not tell you without an oath of secrecy." Cedric nods and takes an unbreakable vow. "It seems everything is in order. Now, for the truth. Isabella's last name is not Black. She is the heir to the Black fortune because Sirius Black was named as one of her godfather when she was born and he chose to name her as his heir."

Cedric looks confusedly at Isabella. "Then who is she?" Cedric asks.

Isabella curls further into Harry, feeling exposed and nervous about telling Cedric this while also quite relieved. Harry watches her for a moment. "Isabella's full name is Isabella Angela Potter," Harry states. He pauses a moment to let that sink in before continuing. "She was placed in stasis for three years after the night our parents were killed which is why she is younger than she should be."

"This year has been a little more difficult for Isabella," Severus continues. "It started with her being revealed to the other students. It's a hard adjustment but that has worked out. Then, there was the night the champions were selected."

"My name was not the name that came out of the goblet that night," Harry states. "Isabella's name came out. As her older brother, I could take her place which is what happened. It's been hard for her to be under all this pressure and keep the secrets she's needed to keep for her safety. I can't always be there for her because we have to keep our connection a secret for her protection."

Cedric kneels down before Isabella. "I am so sorry, Isabella. I- I didn't know. I didn't mean to- to hurt you in any way," Cedric pleads.

Isabella watches him carefully before wrapping her arms around Cedric's neck. "I missed you, Cedric," Isabella starts. "Please, can we just resolve this so it's done with and over."

Cedric smiles. "I would like nothing more. I'm sorry I jumped to so many conclusions. I just don't understand why you didn't tell me sooner."

"It wasn't her decision," Dumbledore says. "She is still a minor. We at Hogwarts, as her guardians and friends, decided that it was best for her to stay hidden. The sister to the boy who lived, she'd never get a normal life and it wasn't worth putting her in danger because of her connection to Harry."

Cedric nods. "I'm sorry, Izzy. Can you forgive me?" Cedric asks.

Isabella nods. "I want you to have this," Isabella says. "It'll protect you if something happens."

Cedric holds it for a moment. "I will wear it, I promise, but if it's enchanted to protect me, I can't wear it during the tournament," Cedric explains.

"I've already examined it and deemed it alright for you to wear through the third task," Dumbledore says. "There are certain circumstances that we can not tell you about that lead me to believe it is a necessary precaution for the final task."

Cedric takes it warily and ties it around his wrist. "Necessary precaution?"

"You knew when you entered into the tournament that it is extremely dangerous," Severus says. "Unfortunately, there are further events that are leading us to be more cautious." Nodding, Cedric stands up from beside Isabella and they all leave Dumbledore in his office for the night.

now-w2.