Train for War

The eerie silence contrasts the party's noise. It's a large field surrounded by dense forest. The mist is heavy; it's overcast, grey. Suddenly, the quiet is broke by Emmett being flung through the air, flailing in slow motion. He lands hard on his back, but immediately springs up to face Jasper, the person who threw him. "Again," Emmet announces. Carlisle, Esme, Alice and Rosalie watch them spar.

A Volvo skids to a halt next to Jasper's Jeep. Edward and Bella climb out, head into the field together. Halfway across, Edward stops. "They're here," Edward calls. From out of the mist skulk eight giant wolves, as wary and on-edge as the Cullens are. Emmett recognizes Paul-wolf; their eyes meet, both itching for a rematch. "They don't trust us enough to be in their human forms."

"They came. That's what matters," Carlisle assures.

Bella sees the red-brown wolf as it turns toward her. "Jake-" He seems to almost smile, tongue lolling. A sharp look from Sam-wolf gets Jacob-wolf to focus.

"Will you translate?" Carlisle asks Edward. Edward nods. Carlisle moves slowly towards their pack. Sam-wolf, the biggest and blackest steps forward. "Jasper has experience with newborns. He'll teach us how to defeat them."

Edward turns to Carlisle. "They want to know how the 'newborns' is differ from us."

"They're a great deal stronger than us, because their own human blood lingers in their tissues. Our kind is never more physically powerful- Than in our first several months of this life," Carlisle explains. The pack takes this in. Carlisle nods to Jasper to take over.

Jasper is initially uncomfortable with both the wolves and the attention. But steps forward, saying, "Carlisle's right. That's why they are created. A newborn army, doesn't need thousands like a human army. And no human army could stand against them. The two most important things to remember are, first- Never let them get their arms around you. They'll crush you instantly. The second- Never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that. And you will lose. Emmett?" They stand before each other, ready to spare. "Don't hold back."

"Not in my nature," Emmett smirks. Emmett charges Jasper with impossible speed, but Jasper is a virtual blur.

Emmett lunges several times, his strong arms grabbing at air. Jasper stops long enough to say. "Never lose focus." Edward and Carlisle start sparring and Edward gets him on the ground. "One more thing-" While Jasper distracts Edward, Carlisle grabs his leg and turns him over. "Never turn your back on your enemy." Emmett lunges again with similar results, until suddenly he freezes – Jasper has him from behind, his teeth an inch from Emmett's throat. Bella is taken aback by Jasper's skill. And there's an impressed rumble among the watching wolves. Everyone takes turns sparring with Jasper, or pairing off against each other.

They're all blurs. Alice and Jasper spar, spiraling, twisting. Jasper launches at her but with her eyes glazed over, not looking at him, she sees his moves before he makes them. Out of nowhere, Alice is perched on his back; she kisses his neck. "Gotchya."

Edward and Carlisle attack one another, but Edward can read Carlisle's mind which gives him the advantage. He twirls beyond Carlisle's grasp, then slams into him delivering a vicious body blow. "Focus on speed, agility, keep your opponent off guard-" The wolves rise or pace, watching intently, itching to get into the fray but holding back. "Use their momentum against them."

A portion of the violence to come. A furry muzzle brushes her face. Jacob-wolf is beside her, his eyes conveying concern. She pensively looks back out at the field. "Some of you, are gonna get hurt. Some of you could get killed, because of me. It's gonna be a hundred times worse than this, right?" Bella make sure. Jacob nuzzles her face again. She pets him. Leans against him. "I'll do what I can to help. I'm not just going to sit out while you all fight to protect me. I know some tricks I can set and pull."