Not so Subtle Hints

Bella enters, dripping wet, too listless to close the door. Charlie's face falls when he sees the pain and lifelessness returned to her. He grabs a blanket, wraps her in it. "Billy called, said you and Jacob had a fight. But, hey, you guys will work it out, I'm sure of it," Charlie says.

"I'm going to change," Bella replies. Bella heads upstairs. Charlie sags, helpless. He moves to the open door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bella tears through the forest again, searching. She turns and finds Edward, cold, distant. But his face begins to morph and becomes Jacob's. She reaches for him but he bolts backward, suddenly many yards away. "Why!?" Bella demands. He, too, retreats further, disappearing until Bella is alone. Blackness encroaches, the moonlight becoming a tiny spotlight on her. She searches the dark, then sees a pair of eyes, female, blood-red - coming toward her; hear a loud screeching noise.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bella tosses herself awake, slowly realizing it was just a dream. But she hears the screeching noise again! Fingernails on her window. Bella bolts upright, looking around for a weapon. "Bella! Ouch damn it; open the window," Jacob calls up. Bella cautiously moves to her window to find Jacob, shirtless, clings to the top of a tree which bends with his weight. Bella opens the window, whisper-yelling.

"What the h*ll are you doing?" Bella asks.

"Get out of the way."

He begins to swing his legs, increasing momentum. She realizes what he's about to attempt. "No!" Bella says. He launches himself through the window with great agility. Jacob lands on the balls of his feet. Bella is stunned. He freezes, listening for Charlie. Nothing. A bitter, self-satisfied grin spreads on his face. It pisses Bella off. He takes in her room as she grabs a blanket and wraps it around herself.

"I pictured your room more cluttered," Jacob says.

"Why are you here?" Bella asks.

"I had to talk to you. Alone."

"To kick me in the gut again? It was bad before, but you made it so much worse."

"I know. And I want to explain. But, I can't."

"Then leave." He stays put. She tries to push him but he's immoveable. "You're done with me, remember? Get. Out!"

"Bella, I literally can't explain." She becomes aware of her hands on his bare skin and muscular chest. The intimacy of their touch. She pulls away. "I broke my promise not to hurt you, I know. But I'm trying to keep it now. I need you to understand, even if you don't want to see me when you find out."

"Find what out?" He starts to speak, but can't. It's agonizing. She sees he's in pain and is concerned. "What's wrong?"

"I can't do it," Jacob says.

"Yes, you can. I'll help you. We can, we can leave. Leave home, leave Sam."

"It's not something I can run away from. I would run with you though. If I could. Wait. Wait, I already- I told you. You know this- you can guess."

"I don't want to play games with you-"

"You have to! I can't tell you, but if you remember, it was that day I ran into you at the beach. I told you a story. come on! I told you a story; about?"

"About "The Cold Ones?" You said it was a stupid tribal myth."

"Was it? Are the Cold Ones a myth?" She doesn't answer. "What else did I say?"

"That the tribe made a treaty with them. They can't come onto your land and- I don't know, I don't remember."

"Try, Bella."

"You have to give me more. Tell me where to look. Is there something I should see?" Bella asks. She tries to think through all of her knowledge and Bella's but can't make a connection. Warm body temperature, anger easily, rash, top physical fitness; what do these have in common?!

"No, that's too dangerous."

"I'll take the risk. Jacob, show me or give me something to go on!" He looks at her, doesn't want to but knows it's the only way.

"Where was the last place you saw me? The way I used to be?"

"The motorcycles- that clearing in the woods." He nods slowly, then turns to go. She stops him. "Don't go. There are dangerous things out there; more than you know." He looks at her with a wry smile. Then pulls her into a hug. Her cheek against his bare chest. She takes in the closeness. Then he soundlessly heads out her door. Bella starts pulling on clothes. Bella drives through the darkness.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bella walks around town the next day, looking around and visiting some local stores. After a few hours, she travels up to the Cullen house. Everything inside is covered with sheets to keep dust off. Testing the door, Bella smiles when she finds it unlocked. There's a key on the countertop and a small note. "Dear Bella, I'm so sorry we've had to leave. Edward is only doing what he feels is right to protect you. I'm leaving a key here for you in case you need a place to get away to. I know how hard this will be on you so please, no matter what happens, if you need to get away come here to this home. I love you like the little sister I've never had and I hope I was the older sister you never had. Love, Alice."

Smiling, Bella tucks the key into her pocket and sits at the piano. She runs her hands over the keys and starts to play a simple melody as it comes to her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In their Alaska home, Alice smiles as she sees Bella sitting at the piano. Jasper comes up beside her, looking out the window. "What do you see?" Jasper asks.

"Bella," Alice replies. "She's doing better. She went to our house and found my note and they key."

"You left Bella a key to our house?" Carlisle asks. "Alice, you know Edward wanted a clean break so she could move on."

"I was angry with Edward for making us leave and I wanted to make sure Bella was alright. I thought if she had a key, she'd be able to stay in our house if she really need it," Alice explains. "My visions of her, at the time, were fuzzy. I needed my own assurances that my best friend would be alright."

Carlisle is silent for a moment before nodding. "I understand, Alice. I think deep down that all of us wanted to set up assurances to make sure she's alright. I left an e-mail address to me in a copy of her favorite book and left the book in the living room."

"I've been putting some money aside in an account for her and left the information in the back of her drawer. I thought if she needed something desperate enough to search through everything for cash she'd find it," Esme replies. "It's nothing compared to what we have but it would be enough for her to live on for a few years."

Emmett sighs and sits forward. "I double checked her house and made sure that everything was in order safety wise; especially with how clumsy Bella can be." Rosalie stares at him, surprised.

Jasper steps forward next. "I may have made sure things at school go her way. With the students that is," Jasper replies. "I made sure that her friends still felt a strong connection of friendship with Bella so they didn't abandon her."

Everyone looks around for a moment before glancing at Rosalie. She groans and sinks into the chair. "Alright, I may have left an old truck in the garage in case she needed a ride. It's nothing flashy, but it's in good condition. I may not have always liked her but I don't think Edward had a right to break her heart and leave her in the forest that day."

They all stare at Rosalie in shock. "He left Bella in the forest?" Carlisle asks. "She would have been extremely emotional after Edward breaking up with her and he left her in the forest all alone?"

Rosalie nods. "That's what he said," Rosalie replies. "And knowing Edward, what he said was hard on her because he wanted her to feel nothing for him anymore."

"Even just breaking up with her gently would have hurt her a lot," Jasper says. "She's always felt things stronger than most other humans."

Carlisle sighs and looks out of the window. "Maybe- Maybe someone should head down and check on her from afar. If your sight is being interrupted, she might not be as alright as we hope."