Fear Within

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Isabella runs down the hall, pulling Hermione with her. "Hermione, come on. We have to tell Harry and Ron!"

Hermione is dragged behind her, trying to keep up. "Izzy, you need to slow down, it's dangerous!" Hermione stops her, checking around the corner before going on. Isabella rolls her eyes, running ahead to the game. Hermione sighs, shaking her head at Isabella's antics. Suddenly a scream sounds from around the corner and Hermione freezes. "Izzy?" she calls.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry and his teammates march toward the Quidditch tower. The cheers of the crowd are heard. "Listen up now. We play our game, Hufflepuff doesn't stand a chance. We're stronger, quicker, smarter," Wood instructs.

"Not to mention they're dead terrified Harry'll Petrify them if they fly anywhere near him," George jokes.

"That, too," Wood smiles. Just then, Professor McGonagall appears, barring their way. "Professor McGonagall-"

"This match has been cancelled," McGonagall says.

"Cancelled! They can't cancel Quidditch-" Wood shouts in outrage.

"Silence, Wood! You will return to Gryffindor Tower now. Potter, you and I will find Mr. Weasley. There's something the both of you need to see," McGonagall replies.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

McGonagall pauses outside the door, turns to Harry and Ron. "I warn you. This will be a bit of a shock. She opens the door. Madam Pomfrey is leaning over a bed where a girl lies. As she straightens up, we see the girl is-" McGonagall starts.

"Hermione!" Ron cries.

"She was found near the library. Along with this. Does it mean anything to either of you?" McGonagall inquires. She holds up a small circular mirror. Harry shakes his head. McGonagall nods gravely. "I'm afraid that's not all."

Professor McGonagall nods behind her and they turn to see Snape there, looking worried. "No," Harry whispers. "I-is- Is she-" Snape leads them out without a word.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Isabella lies on her bed with Harry sitting next to her. "She was found with Hermione," Severus explains. "Petrified, like the others. We're still working on preparing the Mandrakes." Harry moves the hair from Izzy's face and places a hand on her cheek.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

McGonagall reads from a parchment to the somber Gryffindors. "All students will return to their house common rooms by six o'clock in the evening. You will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No exceptions. I should tell you all this. Unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught, it is likely that the school will be closed," McGonagall says. McGonagall turns, exits. Instantly, as one, the students begin to talk amongst themselves. Neville speaks up.

"Haven't any of the teachers noticed that the Slytherins are all safe? Isn't it obvious all this stuff's coming from Slytherin? The Heir of Slytherin, the monster of Slytherin- why don't they just chuck all the Slytherins out?" Neville asks.

"They can't close Hogwarts. Where would we all go?" Seamus replies.

"I don't care what anyone says. As long as Dumbledore's here, Hogwarts will be here," Dean assures.

Harry whispers to Ron. "We've got to talk to Hagrid, Ron. I can't believe it's him. But if he did set the monster loose last time, even by accident, he'll know how to get inside the Chamber of Secrets. And that's a start," Harry says.