On Down the Road

"Isabella Potter, you come back here at once!" Severus calls. Isabella, the adventurous four-year-old, looks back at Severus, running around the table towards him. "Isabella!"

Isabella rushes to stand before Severus. "Sorry Papa," Isabella replies.

Severus sighs and smiles at her. "Isabella, you know better than to play games when I call you. We always tell you why so please listen." Isabella nods and puts her arms out. Severus pulls her into a hug before picking her up. "Do you remember what today is?"

"The day I get to go outside the grounds?" Isabella asks.

Severus chuckles and shakes his head. "Isabella, I know you want to go outside the grounds but it's not safe for you yet." Isabella nods and Severus sets her on a table. "Today, Isabella, is the first day of your magical education. Dumbledore has asked Ollivander, a very experienced wand maker, to come to Hogwarts so that you may find what wand suits you best."

A smile spreads across Isabella's face and she hugs Severus. "Do you mean it, Papa?! Do I really get a wand?!" Severus had been reading her spell books to get her to fall asleep.

Severus nods before turning serious. "Isabella, remember, you are only getting a wand because of how extraordinarily powerful your abilities are. Most children are required to wait until they are eleven. With us trusting you, you have to show you can be trusted as well. There are rules that come with it. You aren't allowed to use magic when you're not with either Grandpa Dumble, Grandma Minnie or myself, okay?" Isabella nods. "I will also be keeping your wand when you are not being taught so there are no accidents. Your first wand is the wand that will most match your magical ability. You will not find a better wand anywhere." A knock sounds at the door and Isabella runs behind the desk. Severus calls out, "Enter!" and Dumbledore walks in, followed by Ollivander.

"Good morning, Severus," Dumbledore greets. "How are you?"

"I am fine," Severus replies. "Have you told Ollivander what is going on?"

Dumbledore smiles. "Yes, Severus. Ollivander knows that he is here to help a young girl find a wand. There will be no mention of any facts about her and Ollivander has agreed, if we find it necessary, to have his memories modified."

Severus nods and turns to the desk. "You can come out now. It's alright." Isabella carefully steps out from behind the desk and Severus takes her hand. "Ollivander, this is the young lady that you will be helping to find the proper wand."

Ollivander smiles warmly as Severus helps her up onto one of the tables. Ollivander lays out some of the wands before turning to Isabella. "I must admit, I am more accustomed to helping eleven-year-old children who are just starting their magical education. You seem quite a bit younger so perhaps a little introduction to what will happen. I will look through the wands I've brought with me and give you one that I feel may work well."

Isabella smiles and nods. Ollivander starts the process and Severus transfigures a few targets. Some wands work well while others decimate the target. "Ollivander, is something the matter?"

Ollivander nods, confused. "I think I know what wand will work for this young lady."

"What kind of wand?" Dumbledore asks.

"One that has never been made before. I might confer with Gregorovitch on this one, Headmaster. I know what kind of wood to use and I believe I know the proper length but the core it what's troublesome. She is reacting well to both dragon heart string and unicorn hair. Perhaps, in this instance, a custom wand is required." Ollivander glances over his wands again and nods. "I have one more wand to test." He grabs the final wand and holds it out to Isabella.