Media Mess

Corey

The streak ends at 24 games as the Avalanche defeats us in our first regulation loss of the season. But now there is only 24 games left and we could never win again and still make the playoffs. I would rather we not do that but it's possible. All we had to do is to play decent down the stretch and play well enough to have home ice advantage throughout the playoffs. That's what we were focusing on no matter what all the hype around us said.

And along with the good attention around us, there was some bad too. There was a lot of people who wanted to see us fail, to see us crumble so they don't have to hear about us anymore. And while I would like to think we could keep things professional and stick to on the ice competitiveness, I know that's just not true. I know that the media will report whatever it gets it's hands on and it will spread like wildfire.

One morning I lay in bed of the hotel room I was in. We were in Nashville to take on the Preds and for once I got a good nights of sleep. That is until my phone starts to go off.

"Sorry" I whisper as I untangle myself from Caroline's grasp.

"It's okay. You can go answer it" she replies softly.

I roll out of bed and see it was Patrick calling me. I call him back and he answers quickly.

"Hey" I say.

"You never told us you and Caroline broke up" he says and my heart drops.

"What" I gasp.

"This article I'm reading. It says you guys are no longer together because you got back together with Julie over the break" he claims.

"What article" I snap.

"I don't know. Amanda sent it to me asking if you guys were still together because she had such a nice time with Caroline and she really likes her" he rambles.

"Who wrote it" I ask.

"I don't know. I can send it to your email" he suggests.

"Please" I beg.

"I got you" he assures me.

"And please don't tell Caroline. I want to be the one to tell her" I insist.

"Is it true? Did you guys break up and you went out with Julie again" he asks.

"Not exactly" I sigh.

"Good... because I hated that girl" he claims. "Then what really happened because this article really makes it look like you're with Julie right now."

"I actually cheated on Caroline... literately right in front of her. I dragged her out to drink with my friends even though she hates when I drink like that. Then Julie showed up because of course she did and she started flirting with everyone. Of course she set her eyes on me because she still wants us to be together for whatever reason. Then she asked for a drink and I though a drink couldn't hurt. I was starting to sober up and could use another drink. But then she started getting handsy and pulled me to the bathroom" I explain.

"You are so lucky I'm not with you right now" he claims.

"Why" I wonder.

"Because I want to punch you in your stupid face" he claims.

"Yeah, I know the feeling" I admit.

"Why? Why did you do it" he asks. "Caroline is such a sweet girl and would never-"

"I know Patrick. I know I have no excuse to cheat even if alcohol was involved. I knew what I was doing, I remember everything. I just... I fucked up" I admit.

"Well not only do people know you and Caroline were a thing but they know that you hurt her. And they also don't known you're back together" he explains.

"What else did the article say" I ask.

"Well it has two pictures in there. One with you with Caroline under your arm and one with Julie being extra touchy" he says.

"Pictures? How the hell did they get pictures? Only my friends were there" I insist.

"Then one of your so called friends sold you out" he says.

I begin to get pissed as I try to figure out who in the hell leaked those pictures. Who was so money hungry to back stab me and sell me out to the media? I shouldn't be so surprised but I was because I thought those people were my friends. Maybe Julie set me up? She obviously only came there with one thing in mind and she accomplished it. She's not smart enough to do this on her own but she still got what she wanted. I'm sure why this happened but I planned on getting to the bottom of it.

I hang up with Patrick and look through the article. Whoever talked to them claimed I came with Caroline then left with Julie. The picture of me and Julie made me nauseous because we really did look like we were together. It was a reminder that I was weak and stupid and now everyone knows it.

I hear the door to the bedroom open and little feet hit the floor. Caroline comes over and I look down at her... how am I supposed to tell her that this is out? That she was in the media and it wasn't for a good reason. Because as much as I hate that she didn't want to go public with our relationship she was right. They say and do stupid things. The reason she is so good at her job is because she doesn't get political or personal in her writings. She respects everyone. And I know seeing this is going to hurt but she need to hear it from me.

"Who was that" she asks.

"It was Patrick" I say softly.

"Kane or Sharp" she wonders.

"Kane" I explain.

"Really? He seems like the one who would text" she shrugs.

"We couldn't really talk about that over text" I admit.

"Oh, was it important" she asks and I sigh.

"Come with me" I say grabbing her hand and taking her to the couch. I sit down and pull her into my lap. She keeps a hold of my hand as she looks down into my eyes.

"What is wrong" she asks as she starts to rub the back of my hand.

"There was a article published about me from that night in December" I say slowly.

"Okay" she says.

"It has pictures of me and you, then me and Julie claiming that I left you there to run off with my ex" I explain.

"Oh" she whispers.

"I don't know who talked or took those pictures... I can't figure out which one of my friends would do that, I just know it was one of them. But as soon as I figure out who it is I'm gonna-"

"You are gonna what? You're gonna sue them, punch them in the face? And what does that fix" she asks.

"I don't know. I'm just pissed that they would do this to me, to us" I admit.

"People want to see you hurt Crawford, it is human nature. They say they are your friends but don't know what being a friend means. Do you know how many people tried to hurt my father? People in his own family would sell out to the media or start rumors for attention or for money. People are capable of terrible things, I tried to warn you. And once these things get out they get twisted and people believe in whatever they want. And you are going to have to let them keep believing it, you don't owe them a explanation or have to defend yourself. Look at me, I am still here. I still love you all my heart. They can say whatever about you or me or us but none of that matters. You still love me right" she asks.

"More than anything" I insist.

"Then that is all that matters. You just got to watch your back. You are making your name which means it is more valuable to the people who can use that for some cheap gain. Keep the ones you love the most close and nothing else matters."