Headcase

Caroline

As December moves along the team does good. I decorate my little apartment with a Christmas tree and lights and vanilla scented candles. I wouldn't be here for the holidays but I still wanted this place to feel like home. I even got to bring Hawk back home with me to enjoy his first Christmas in Canada.

We had a game against Montreal coming up in a week and I was really excited for it. My dad was going to come down and watch and we were going to have some fun. These planned visits are a lot more fun than when he just decides to drop in like usual. We were going to go to the pier and mess around and see all the Christmas lights. I couldn't wait.

Until then it was business as usual and I go into morning skate ready for work. I sit up in the stands and wait for the guys to come out. I wait and wait and wait some more but it felt like forever and still no one was on the ice. Finally someone comes out but I see it's just Q.

"Hey Roy, can you come down" he yells.

"Yeah, just give me a second" I insist as I pack my things away.

I walk down to the ice and over to the doors.

"What can I do you for" I wonder.

"Waite is sick and can't come to the game tonight. I was wondering if you wanted to be on the bench for the game and help coach" he asks and my eyes go big.

"Seriously" I gasp and he nods.

"Yeah. There isn't a single person out there I trust more than you to fill his shoes. So if you're up to it I would love to have your eyes for the game" he says and I smile big.

"I would be honored" I whisper.

"Well then it's time for you to track suit up. There's one in your office ready for you. Grab a pair of skates and let's do this" he says and I smile big.

I get changed and lace up before hitting the ice. Jonny was the first one to approach me and he has the biggest smile on his face.

"Coach Roy, I like it" he says and I laugh.

"Who would have thought I would be coaching in the NHL before my dad" I ask.

"I'm not surprised. I think Waite has got some competition" he teases.

"Sure. If the competition is who can fit into a suitcase" I joke.

"You're funny... I'll give you that" he smiles.

I skate over to the crease and talk to Emery for a while. Eventually Corey comes out on the ice and drags himself over to us.

"Woah dude... you look terrible" Ray says and he hits his pads.

"I've had a rough few days" he admits. He finally takes his eyes off the ice and they find me. His face softens and his lips pull into a smile. I couldn't help it but smile back at him.

"What are you doing here... in a track suit" he laughs.

"I'm the goalie coach for today while Waite is getting drugs pumped into him" I explain.

"Really" he gasps and I nod. "That's awesome. I'm so happy for you" he says.

"Thanks Crawford. Now let's get to work" I insist.

After a brief 20 minute morning skate we were all done. Q ends the practice and we all go our separate ways. By 5 everyone was back at the United center ready for the game. Everyone was suited up and ready to take the ice.

With about 2 minutes left in the third we were up by one goal. The other team pulls their goalie for a extra attacker and send six guys into our end. The guys defend their ice and show some grit blocking shots.