Reasons

Caroline

My dad and I ended up spending Christmas with Corey and his family. That's what was originally planned and we were still trying to work things out. My dad wasn't happy about it at first but Corey got my dad a copy of the painting that was in the art show and all the sudden he was calling him "son" again. My dad couldn't stay mad at him for long anyway, he loved Corey almost as much as I did.

The holidays was a chance to spend time with the people you love the most and I don't have that many people like that in my life. I have a small family and a even smaller friend group. And I haven't felt this loved in a really long time, I haven't had a maternal figure for a while either. So spending Christmas with Corey and his family has been a great. It was much needed healing time for all of us for all our different reasons.

And right after Christmas was out of the way it was time for Corey's birthday. My dad was invited to some high end hockey thing for the New Years and invited me and Cory and his family to come. We all decide to attend because it was better than spending the night in a bar or at home.

I was staying with Corey for the remainder of of the staycation but the dress I wanted was back at home. So I go there and change and help my dad get ready. He never knows what to do with his tie, nearly two decades in the league and he still doesn't know.

"Is that your moms dress" he asks as I fix his tie.

"Yeah, I have always wanted to wear it but never had a reason to

"Yeah, I have always wanted to wear it but never had a reason to. And now I do" I smile.

"Thanks for spending the New Years with your old man" he teases and I roll my eyes.

"Just try not to embarrass me too much" I joke.

"Okay, but get enough beer in me and I will start dancing" he warns me.

"I expect nothing less."

I finish getting ready then wait for Corey to come by. At seven there was a knock on the door and I hop up to get it. I open the door and see Corey looking really sharp in all black.

"Woah" he gasps and I smile.

"I can say the same" I smirk and he starts to laugh.

"You look so incredible. I mean you always do, but wow... I am the luckiest man alive" he claims.

"If you don't stop I'll never turn back to my normal color" I say covering up my cheeks.

"Are you Uh... are you ready to go" he stutters.

"Almost. I just need to grab something really quick" I explain.

"Okay" he nods.

I run inside, the best I can in heels, and grab a package. I return to the door and hand it to him.

"What's this" he wonders.

"A birthday gift" I explain.

"You didn't have to get me anything" he insists.

"I didn't, but I wanted to" I smile and he nods. He pulls out the stuffing paper until he grabs the gift. He pulls out a mason jar filled with paper and turns to me.

"What is it" he asks.

"It is a jar with a bunch of reasons why I love you. One night, not too long ago, I couldn't go to bed. I had a lot on my mind and I always write when I get like that. And I wanted to tell you all the reasons I loved you but I couldn't because we were still apart. So I wrote them down and I realized that what is in that jar is far more important than what happened that night in Chicago. That's why I'm here" I say.

"Now I want to stay here and read these" he claims making me giggle.

"Sorry birthday boy but you promised my dad that we would meet him there" I remind him.

"Okay, but I'm coming home and reading every single one of these" he claims holding up the jar.

We head over to the community center that was named after my father. Jonathan Toews isn't the only one who has his own community center in Canada. We get there and there was people dressed nicely walking around. Corey finds his family and we catch up with them. Eventually my dad pulls me to the side to meet some of his friends. I mean I've met them before but I was just a kid and certainly don't remember them.

"Wow, little Caroline is all grown up" one woman says and I laugh.

"That is what time will do to you" I nod.

"You look just like your mother" the woman continues and I smile.

"Thank you" I nod. That's the nicest thing anyone can say to me.

"Word has it you're giving your old man a run for his money" a guy chimes in and I laugh. He looked familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"I wouldn't be caught dead on the ice. I'm just using the gifts he gave me and the ones my mom did to make a living" I explain.

"Well I can't wait to read your book. I loved playing with your father, as a defensemen he made me look really good" the man explains.

"I'm always proud of my father, off and on the ice" I say smiling up at him. He squeezes my shoulders and I rest my head on his shoulder.

"I would like you to meet my son, Nikos Chelios. He plays for the Hurricanes" the man explains. I finally realize that I was talking to Chris Chelios and mentally face palming for not noticing earlier. Now I remember him.

"Hello, it's a pleasure to meet you" I smile as I shake his hand.

"The pleasure is all mine" he claims and I raise a eyebrow. I drop his hand so he doesn't get any ideas.

"So Caroline, any word on the lockout" Chris wonders.

"Not with the holidays. They had something in the works before we left Chicago but they're all on haitis. If we don't figure something out soon we won't have a season this year unfortunately" I explain.

"Well that sucks, I hope they can come to a conclusion. I'm tired of hearing this one whining" he says nudging his son.

"I know the feeling" I tease nudging my dad and he just shakes his head.

We say goodbye and I head to Corey and his family before I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and see Nikos standing there looking down at me.

"Hey. I was Uh... wondering if you wanted to dance with me" he says slowly.

"I'm flattered, but I'm here with my boyfriend and it's his birthday and I'm sure he didn't want me to drag him here to watch his girlfriend dance with another guy" I explain.

"I should have known that someone like you has a boyfriend" he claims.

"And what does that mean" I question.

"That's you're a awesome girl and really pretty, you would be making some guy happy" he shrugs.

"Right.... I'm gonna go" I say excusing myself. We say goodbye and I find Corey before it hits midnight. We head to the dance floor as we wait for time to catch up.

"Where did you run off to" he asks as we sway back and fourth.

"I was meeting some of my dads friends who had been asking about me. And one of them was Chris chelios who introduced me to his pretentious son" I explain.

"Woah... pretensions... I don't think I've ever heard of you talk about someone in such a way" he teases.

"It's not my fault he couldn't take a hint" I defend and he laughs.

"Well you're here with me now and that's all that matters" he insists.

"You're all that matters."

When the clock strikes midnight we find ourselves in the same position as the last year. A different place and a different time, but still ringing in the New Years with his lips on mine.