Blessings

Corey

Our time in Jamaica started to feel more like a fantasy than real life. We got to go on adventures and zip line into a waterfall and swim with the dolphins and ride horses in the ocean. Things I never really saw myself doing but now I'm really happy I did.

One of the days we decide to take a break from the physical things for a little and have dinner in the restaurant in the resort we were staying in. Caroline and her dad grab us a table downstairs while I make some phone calls to make sure we can do everything we wanted to do while we were here. We were going snorkeling tomorrow and I wasn't really sure when or where we were supposed to be so I had to figure that out.

Once I get off the phone with the last person I meet Caroline and her dad downstairs and meet them for drinks and dinner. There was a beer already waiting for me so I sat down before taking a long drink. Music played softly from a piano in the background as we all look over the menu.

"Remember when you used to play the piano Caro" her Dad asks her.

"Yeah, I used to love playing" she smiles.

"I didn't know you could play" I admit.

"I only know a few songs" she shrugs.

"You should go see if they will let you play a song or two" her Dad suggests.

"Oh I hardly believe that they let guests play the piano" she insists.

"With how much were paying to stay in this resort I would imagine they would. You never know until you try" he says and she smiles.

"You're right" she laughs.

She gets up and goes over to the piano. She talks the the guy who was playing the piano and he seemed nice. He finishes his song and scoots over so she can sit down on the bench with him. She tries out a few keys before she starts to play.

"Is she really playing Sweet Caroline right now" I laugh.

"It was her moms favorite song. The first one she taught her on the piano too" he explains.

"Like a million times before now, she has impressed me" I admit as I watch her effortlessly play the piano.

"There's nothing in this whole world that makes me happier than watching my daughter" he admits.

"Can I ask you a very serious question" I ask.

"Of course son. What's on your mind" he wonders.

"How would you feel about me one day marrying your daughter" I question slowly. He sets his drink down and turns to face me.

"Are you asking for my daughters hand" he asks and I swallow hard.

"Yes sir" my voice cracks and he laughs.

"You're nervous, you just called me sir" he noticed.

"I would very much like to marry your daughter. But I won't do it unless I have your blessing. I know you and her are really close and she means the world to you, I would never go against you" I explain.

"You're right. That little girl means the world to me. She is all I have left. But that's not such a bad thing because she is a lot of things that I am so proud of. Every day she becomes more and more like her mom, I know she sees it too. And you guys remind me a lot of my wife and I. She was the creative and caring and careful one where I was crazy and loud and annoying. We were pretty much opposites but I loved everything about her. I was obsessed with her, more than hockey and more than anything I have ever put my love into" he explains.

He stops his tangent and stares at me. I hear Caroline playing the piano and my heart beating out of my chest but nothing else. He looks at her and turns back to me with a stone cold expression.

"Can you answer me this" he asks and I nod by head. "If you were to lose her... what do you think would happen" he asks.

"I would lose everything. I don't know what I would do without her honestly. My life with her is so much better, if for some reason she wasn't with me anymore I would probably lose my mind. I've never felt a love like this. It's scary and fierce and heavy. It's everywhere I see her. The way she says my name or the way she laughs at her own jokes. It's hard to explain because I don't think there's any word that can do it justice. All I know is that if I couldn't have her anymore I would lose it all" I insist.

"That's how I felt when I lost my wife. I knew it was coming, I was well aware of the situation we were in and that I had to let her go. But it was the most painful thing in my life. I thought I couldn't go on anymore. But then I looked at my daughter, her smile just brightened up my life. I hated losing my wife, but I loved what she left behind. A reminder that life is tough, but love is tougher.

And when I say that this girl means everything to me, I mean it. So I'm begging you, please be kind to her" he says and I smile.

"Does this mean I have your blessing" I ask.

"You have my blessing. I know I'm a hover parent and I am way too protective over her, but I know you would never hurt her. You let me come on vacation with you guys to satisfy my need to know my daughter is okay. She loves you so much and I know you're the one she wants to be with. So yes" he says and I smile.

"Thank you. I'm probably not going to do it anytime soon, with the whole lockout situation I don't want to add wedding planning to our list of things to be concerned about. But when the time is right, I'll let you know" I nod.

"If you would like, I still have my wife's ring. You don't have to use it but it would mean a lot to Caroline. When she was little she would always take it off her finger and play with it. Then when she got sick my wife gave it to her to remember her by, but Caroline wanted to bury it with her mom because I still wear my wedding band. But I grabbed it because one day I knew you were going to come along and remind her how nice it is to love" he explains.

"I would be honored to give her that ring" I admit.

"Let me know when and its as good as yours."

Eventually Caroline comes back just beaming that she got to play the piano.

"I can't believe I haven't played the piano in three years. I missed it so much" she admits.

"Maybe we can get a piano back home. At this rate it looks like you will have a lot of time to play it" I admit.

"That would be great, but where are you putting a piano" she asks.

"I don't know, I haven't worked out the details" I shrug and she giggles.

"Well when you figure it out, get back to me.