A New Persepctive

Caroline

After the lockout started it was obvious that there was a real riptide between the players and management. Bettman and the owners were in no hurry to hear what the players had to say so if anything was going to get done, it wouldn't be until closer to the New Year. That sucks for so many reasons, but it sucks especially because they're letting money rule this sport. This same sport that these guys risk so much to play, the least they deserve is the money they have earned for the team and for the sport. My dad has been giving me a earful about this, he has always hated management which is funny because he wants to one day become a part of it. But let's just say he is not happy right now.

So until there is a decision made, Corey decided to stay here in Chicago and train in the off chance something does happen. There was a bunch of guys staying here to train so he wasn't alone. They get to hold their own practices and work on what they feel they needed to work on. The gym was free for them to use and they kept the personnel around to help out. I had a chance to go overseas to report how those NHLers are doing but instead I chose to stay home and report what's going on here. So I still had a job, it was just a really unpredictable one considering no one knows when the ball will drop or not.

As for today I watch a few of the guys from the stands of johnnies ice house. They do some drills and mess around like always. The mood was light and no one really knew what they were working for so they just did what they thought they needed.

Not too long after they started the practice it was over. No media scrums and no religious game day ritual to tend to so we get out of the small arena pretty early. I hop into Corey's car and he turns to me.

"Are you ready for this" he asks and I raise a eyebrow at him.

"Am I ready for what... exactly" I ask.

"Our one year anniversary date" he claims.

"What in the world are you talking about" I giggle.

"A year ago today I got on a airplane so uncertain of my future. And a year later I learned my future was in you the whole time. And I know we have only been dating for five months, but that's not the point. The point is that it's been a whole year that you have been in my life and teaching me how to live it properly. So I wanted to do something special" he explains.

"That is so sweet of you" I blush. "So where are we going" I wonder.

"Somewhere nice" he claims.

"I trust you" I admit. He smiles at me before pulling off.

After driving a little outside of the city we pull up to a empty space. Just rocks and grass and water all around. We come up on a little place that was surrounded by water and Corey takes me there.

You could see the whole city from the little spot

You could see the whole city from the little spot. The noise of water beating the rocks sound loudly in the background as the waves crash back into the lake only to hit the rocks once again. Corey grabs my hand and pulls me close enough that you feel like you can hold the whole city in your hands but far enough away we won't get drenched.

It was a mid September day so a little cool, especially since we were by the water. Corey moved behind me and rests his arms over my chest keeping me warm. I was wearing one of my dads jerseys and jeans because it still smelled like him. I might be 27 but I was still my fathers only daughter.

Corey rests his chin on my shoulder and I softly run my fingers through his hair.

"Why are we here" I wonder.

"You always say to look at life through a different perspective, so I thought we could give this one a try" he claims.

"I like this one" I admit.

"I do too. The city looks so small from here."

"It iskinda crazy because once you are in the city it doesn't seem like it can get any bigger" I sigh.

"I kinda like that I got stuck here for the lockout. It's a good place to be stuck in" he claims.

"You are not stuck here. It is obvious the lockout is here for a while and you never really got to break over the summer, so if there was a time you were to be free it would be now. You can leave and go somewhere nice for a little, nobody would blame you after the year you are having. As long as your head is in the right place the it is okay to want to get away from here physically. Because the city might seem small from here, but it is so easy to get lost in it and this whole mess with the league.

Perspective isn't just physical, it's mental too. And sometimes you need to go to a new place mentally to see what you might overlook otherwise. A new perspective that is not of a old sight. A new perspective that is fresh and unheard of" I explain.

"Why don't we go somewhere then" he suggests and I turn to him.

"I don't know if you noticed, but I am not the spontaneous type" I admit. "My Dad checks up on me at least twice a week, what am I supposed to tell him when we randomly fly off to somewhere" I ask.

"Tell him you're looking for a new perspective" he smirks and I lightly tap his arm. "I'm serious though. I think after what we have been through, a reset is called for. You are more than deserving of a break from life" he insists.

"But what about work" I ask.

"You said it yourself, no one is budging. They're not even talking right now. A week away from this stress and anxiety will do us some good" he insists.

"What about the cats" I ask and he laughs.

"We can have someone house sit" he insists.

"Where would we even go" I wonder.

"Somewhere far from here. Somewhere where the city isn't just small, it's invisible. Somewhere where we can just be together without people shoving their opinions down our throats or letting people use their power to control our lives. Somewhere where we can be at peace for once" he explains.

"Are we dying" I tease.

"According to the rest of this earth yes."