Benched

Corey

I walk into the meeting room and find a open seat. The other goal tender, Ray Emery, was here and the goalies coaches and Caroline was all sitting there trying to figure out what's going on. I can pretty much assume what this meeting was about and I know I wasn't going like it.

Eventually coach Q comes in and sits at the head of the table. It falls silent as he looks around. 

"I never like doing things like this, but this team needs a spark and it's going to be this" he starts and a swallow hard. I knew what was happening but that's not going to make this hurt any worse. "Emery, the net is now yours to lose. Crow you're going to be backing him up" he says and I let out a sigh. There it is.

"Are you serious" Caroline asks and my eyes go big. I most definitely did not see that one coming. She's not one to speak out or even talk back, but when it comes to that crease she's pretty outspoken. Even to the great Joel.

"Yes Ms. Roy. I know you've spent this season figuring out our goalies but from a team perspective and not a goalie one, this is a decision we have to make" Q insists.

"That's absurd! You can barley blame him for them teams inability to score more goals then they let in. It's not like he's letting in five or six goals a game, he is giving the team a chance to win night in and night out. Sitting him seems a bit uncalled for" she argues.

"I know he isn't the problem, but the team needs to realize that the way they in front of him is a problem. The way they expect him to do all the heavy lifting isn't going to win games. And the bottom like is we're not winning any games. I can change lines and pairs and sit guys but the fact is we're still losing. This was my last resort and we're here. I don't want to do it but we need to win, and I feel like putting Emery in for a few games could fix that" he explains.

"But-" she starts.

"Caroline" I say as I cult her off and she turns to me. I can see the fire in her eyes as she was ready to put it all on the line for me. "It's fine" I assure her and she sinks in her chair.

"Is it" she asks and I nod. She eventually lets it go and shuts her mouth.

Q explains that I'm not going down to the minors, it's not that serious. I'll be the backup and still practice and have the second game of back to backs like a regular backup. He wants me to take this time to reflect and refocus so when it's my time again I will be ready to take command of my net. He knows what I'm capable of but he needs to see it before he gives me the net back. It makes sense with how I've been playing but it still sucks. I want to be better and I want to be in the net every night proving that I belong here, but maybe this break is going to be good for me.

We all get up and leave to get ready for practice. Caroline pulls me to the side and looks up at me. Her light brown eyes were a bit darker as she studies me close.

"Are you seriously okay with this" she asks.

"Of course not" I insist.

"They why did you just let him do that to you" she asks.

"He's not wrong. I'm not playing the way my team needs me too. Sure they're not helping me out but I'm not exactly playing like your dad out there. Maybe he's right, maybe I need some time off" I admit.

"You can't let him take your net away. You earned that" she insists.

"I haven't had control of the net for a while. It's had control of me. I mean besides you I kinda feel like my world has been crumbling around me. I'm at peace with this decision, I don't like it but I'm not opposed to it either" I admit.

"I just... I want you to do good. So bad. I don't want this to break you" she claims.

"Thank you for caring about me" I start and she gives a little smile.

"Hey, we might not have had the easiest of relationships, but you're still one of my favorite people. Believe it or not I care about you more than anything and I don't want you to get hurt" she admits and I smile.

"How can I hurt when I'm holding you" I smirk and she hits my arm.

"Now is not the time to quote that stupid song" she laughs.

"I'm going to be fine Caroline, this isn't going to break me. It's going to make me stronger. A brilliant girl told me not too long ago that I only lose if I don't learn my lesson" I smirk and she smiles at me.

"She sounds pretty awesome" she jokes and I smile back.

"She's pretty amazing" I admit. "Come here" I demand pulling her into my arms. Her little frame fits in my much larger one like a puzzle piece. Her head rests on my chest and I'm sure she can hear my heart beating like crazy. She squeezes me tight and I couldn't help but to smile, I haven't felt this good in a while.

"We're going to get through this" she promises me. She starts to rub my back comforting me.

"Thank you for always being what I need when I needed it most. I can't imagine my life without you in it" I say as we break apart. I keep her in my embrace and look down into her light brown eyes.

I wanted so bad to tell her that I loved her. I wanted to confess my love for her and just run away with her in my arms. But I couldn't do that to her, I can't be the problem in her life and I don't even think she feels the same way about me. I don't want to say it and ruin everything, but I also feel wrong not telling her.

"The pleasure is all mine."