House Party

Corey

After the first week of training we start to get into a rhythm. The team was starting to click and it was nice to get to know each other.

Before we went off to training camp in Indy, we were having a team get together. Since I guess I was still together with my girlfriend I bring her with me and we go over to Jonny's place looking for a good time.

We get there pretty early and I find the beer. I can always find the beer. I walk around and say hi and hang out with some of the guys. A lot of the guys were on the team last year but we're all still kind of new. We were always a tight group but I have people I talk to more than others so I was hoping to talk to some of the newer guys.

"How's my favorite goalie" Kaner asks coming over to me and I laugh.

"Looking to get drunk" I admit.

"See... that's why you're my favorite" he claims and I shake my head. He's what, 23? Already trying to drink his problems away.

We open up a fresh can of beer and drink it down. My girlfriend Julie finds me and starts to pout.

"You guys are drinking without me" she whines and I see Patrick make a face. I hand her a beer and she stops her pouting.

"I gotta go" Patrick claims and I squint.

"What" I gasp. "We just started drinking."

"I uh, I heard someone call my name" he say slowly. I knew he was lying but I wasn't sure why. He slips away and I just shake my head. I grab Julie as we go to the kitchen to get some snacks.

I grab a handful of chips and pop them in my mouth. As soon as I start chewing the house falls silent. I stop chewing so I wasn't being so awkward but I couldn't draw attention to myself even if I tried. Everyone was looking to the door and no one was looking away.

"Woah" someone whispers and I look around. I was in the kitchen so I couldn't see whatever was happening at the door. But everyone's eyes sat in one direction and I was dying to see what has happening.

Eventually the person comes in and the chips nearly fall out of my mouth.

What everyone was looking out was Caroline. But not the Caroline we knew who had her nose in a notebook and glasses pressed up to her face. There was no baseball cap or baggy sweatshirt. This Caroline has long straight hair that reaches her side. She had those crazy light brown eyes that popped with makeup on and no glasses. Her lips painted a dark pink that really pulled it all together. She wore a pretty dress that wasn't too much but wasn't the usual shirt and pants she wore.

"Caroline" Jonny asks finally breaking the silence

"It's me" she giggles and for some reason that made me upset. He pulls her into a hug that lasted longer than it should have. Jon keeps her in his arms and that made something inside of me snap. The thought of her with someone else... frustrated me. And I don't know why. I didn't like her... I couldn't like her. She was my co-worker and way too nice for me, and she was too good for him too.