Something I Can Hold In My Heart

Corey

As the season wares on I get more comfortable in the net. I take what Patrick told me to heart and tried to stop doing so much. Caroline was a big help in getting me to stay focused and apply these different things to my game. On ice there wasn't much I could complain about.

Off ice was different story, for I didn't have someone by my side telling me what to do. Even if I did it wouldn't help all that much because not even I have a clue as to what's going on, let alone someone else. I'm trying to be a better boyfriend, I ask Julie about her day every day and take her out when I can. I haven't cheated in a really long time and I don't think she has either. I put the drinks away so I stopped being such a ass but I still feel like ass. and somewhere in all of this the fun was kinda taken out of it, I know a serious relationship is supposed to be serious, but not to the point where I feel like the life is getting sucked out of me. It just feels forced, but she insists it's better and I know nothing about relationships so I guess she's right.

I was in town on a cool late October morning and I was out and about. I was going to get Julie some earrings but I couldn't find ones I liked. I mean I got a nice new contract so it's not like I couldn't afford to buy her some nice earrings, but I wasn't so sure if I should get them or not.

In the middle of my stroll I turn a corner and I see a bunch of kids running around the street. They all had blue shirts on and were laughing really hard. I turn to see what they were running from until someone hits my body, and hard. They kind of bounce off of me and I reach out to catch them. They stop falling right before they hit the ground and let out a loud grunt.

"Are you okay" I ask frantically trying to get them back to their feet.

"Yeah I'm... I'm fine."

I look down and I see Caroline in my arms wearing that same blue shirt as everyone else. I set her back upright as she straightens herself out.

"God sure has funny ways of putting us together" she laughs as she tucks a lose strand of hair behind her ear. The sun beats down on her as she practically glows on the street.

"What are you doing here... exactly" I ask.

"I found a place not too far from here to volunteer at. Just play with the kids until their parents get off work" she explains.

"I didn't know you volunteered" I admit.

"I just started. I used to all the time back home, my dad and I did it for a while. We usually helped coach hockey teams but I'm not that picky, help is help. I missed aiding people and Stan suggested this place to me the other day. They were looking for volunteers and I wanted to get back to it, so here I am" she shrugs.

"It is insane how sweet you are" I insist and she blushes.

"What can I say?"

"Do you guys need any help" I ask and she raises her eyebrows.

"Really, you want to help" she asks and I gasp.

"Don't act so surprise. Maybe my relationships aren't exactly anything to brag about but I'm actually a nice guy" I defend.

"Okay, we can work you in" she claims and I smile.

She introduces me to the kids and the kids introduce themselves to me. Some of them knew who I was and asked a bunch of questions which I happily answer. I always loved kids, even when I was in the minors. I loved seeing them behind the glass and banging against it, that was me not too long ago.

We play around in the little park area and I push some kids on the swings. I even go down a slide with a little girl which I haven't done in a very long time. I felt like a kid again and honestly it was just what I needed.

Maybe I like kids so much because I wished I was still a kid. I didn't have these thoughts that's ruin my day on a daily basis. I wish I could play all day with my friends and not have to worry about what people think of me or meeting expectations. But I couldn't because I wasn't a kid, and that's okay. Because one day I'll figure it all out and have kids of my own to remind me that everything happens for a reason.

After a while she rounds up the kids. They get in a single file line and I follow suit. I stand at the end of the line like I was one of her kids and she laughs at me.

"Alright. Grab hands and stay close" she instructs. The kid I was standing behind grabs my hand and I smile big. Her little hand rests in mine as she grips me tight.

"Hi Mr. Corey" she says as we start to walk to wherever it is they came from.

"Hey Symphony" I replied and she smiles bigger.

"You remembered my name" she gasps.

"Yeah! We went down the slide together" I remember and she nods her head. "Are you having fun" I ask and she nods again.

"So much fun. I hope Ms. Caroline stays with us forever" she insists.

"I think she'll have a hard time leaving" I assure her.

We get back to the little center they were from and they spread out. They go to the gym to play some more and I meet up with Caroline in the middle of the doorway as we watch them play.

"I have to admit, that was pretty fun" I say.

"You can't enjoy anything more than you enjoy feeling innocent again" she claims.

"Ain't that the truth" I agree.

"So why were you out" she asks as she looks up to me through her thick glasses.

"I was looking for something for Julie but couldn't find anything I think she would like" I explain and she nods. "What would you want? Are you more of a earring or bracelet type of person? Or would you want a necklace" I wonder.

"None of that" she claims and I look at her weird.

"Seriously" I ask and she shakes her head. "Because I thought girls loved that stuff, I know Julie would" I insist.

"I'm not into materialized things, it's just not my thing" she shrugs.

"Then what would you want" I wonder and she smiles.

"Memories. Something that I can't hold in my hand, rather something I can hold in my heart. Something that has no price tag and that can't be flaunted. I want something that I can cherish forever, the sparkle will never dull like a diamond and the chain will never break like a necklace. The nicest thing anyone could ever give me is something that I could never let go of, not that I ever would want to" she explains.

"How... how are you like this" I ask and she laughs.

"I've seen some things Crawford. I have been in this business my whole life. I have seen guys like you fall flat, I have seen guys like you win four Stanley cups and two vezinas. The guys who try to buy happiness never do last long. The things that matter most in life cannot be bought, no diamond is big enough and no pair of earrings are sparkly enough to outshine what true happiness does to a person" she insists.

"I really want to be that second person" I insist.

"You're getting there, one small step at a time."