resurrected • han jisung

Start from the beginning

It was getting quite chilly, so you threw your hood on and hugged your jacket closer to your body. A bit of light shone through a crack in the door and blinded your eyes.

I’m outside again.

You opened the door slowly and stuck your hand out, a ray of sunlight hitting your hand softly. You stepped out cautiously and peeked your head out, looking for zombies. 

Woah. It’s beautiful.

In front of you was the sunset. Back at the base, you saw small glimpses of the sunset. The sky would always turn to a beautiful pink, but it was completely different from seeing the sun itself. It was absolutely surreal. Hues of red, orange, yellow, and pink formed a halo around the sun. You stood there in awe, admiring the sight ahead of you.

If I lived like this everyday, I’d be eternally grateful.

It was depressing how humans were enclosed in such a small environment. It all started when an unknown disease spread, turning the humans into the living dead. Apparently, it began during a lab research where the scientists were trying to figure out a way to achieve immortality. They had created a monster that escaped. Soon after, the entire city completely transformed. The change was so rapid that the humans didn’t know how to fight it, nor did they have a cure. Eventually, each and every continent announced a mass evacuation, thus creating the sanctuaries.

You wandered the deserted streets, searching for the hospital Minho was telling you about. In front of you was something which resembled a broken down convenience store.

Maybe there’s medicine and food in there. Then I could take it back to the base immediately. 

You walked in there slowly, your heart beating rapidly. You held your gun in front of you, with your finger on the trigger in case something popped out. Step by step, you made your way towards the back of the store. Your eyes widened, and you saw rows and rows of canned foods as well as packages of medicine.

Perfect! I can take this back to Minho.

You put your gun away and started packing the the medicine into your backpack. You grabbed a bottle of water as well because you were dying of thirst. 

Suddenly, a hand grabbed your shoulder. You turned around to face a zombie. You reached for your gun, but before you could do so, he grabbed your arm and twisted it behind your back. You kicked his shin in response, causing a groan from the zombie. You managed to reach for your gun, but he made you drop and and kicked it to the other side of the store. He shoved you harshly, and you hit your head against the shelf.

You lay on the ground motionless. You thought of your sister, and a tear slid down your cheek.

“Please don’t hurt me,” you mumbled before your vision turned black. The last thing you saw was the zombie approaching you.

~

You blinked slowly and lifted your hands to check if you were still alive. Somehow, there was a blanket on you. You were in some sort of abandoned trailer. There was no one inside the trailer but you, but how did you get in here?

You heard uneven footsteps by the door, and you laid back in bed, shutting your eyes. The footsteps came closer and closer until they were right next to you. You heard soft groaning.

Oh no, it’s him. Why is he here? Is this how he prepares his meals?

The zombie leaned closer to you, examining your face closely. You opened an eye cautiously, and you made direct eye contact with him. Terrified, you jolted up and held onto the blanket as some sort of protection towards the monster.