Chapter 17

Saytee

"LAND HO!!!!!!!" Screamed someone of the crew...just as our lips were about to touch. Jim looked up the stairs with his eyes narrowed. Soon somebody came down the stairs. "Captain! Land!" He chimed.

That's when Jim stood up and went to look himself. I was kind of discouraged we were interrupted again. I mean, we didn't even kiss once before someone started yelling.

I followed them up the stairs. Off the stern of the ship, sure enough, there was a small island. Someone gave Jim a telescope and he observed the land for a moment.

"We need supplies, we have to dock. Everyone be on guard, we don't know if these people are friendly." He warned as he walked back towards me. So, he obviously saw it had a port.

He walked right past me, looking kind of stressed. I kept my eyes on the island even though I really wanted to follow him. I didn't see where he went.

The crew dispersed, going either below deck or just sitting around in groups talking. None of them were paying any attention to the island anymore.

It would still probably be all day until we got there. And besides, it might not be as nice of a place as we're thinking. I'm pretty sure Jim is thinking the worst on that, too.

I climbed the rope nets that trailed down the side of the mast, and were tied to the rails. I watched with my head turned toward the island as we approached it, rather slowly, obviously.

Without warning, Morph flew up into my view. I'm at the point where it doesn't scare me anymore, he used to freak me out. This time I just smiled and started petting him.

"Saytee!" called BEN. At first when I heard my name, I thought it was Jim, and I turned my head excitedly. Seeing BEN honestly crushed my spirits.

I felt the ropes shake a little as BEN climbed up, higher than I was. He looked with his metal hand over his eyes like a visor. "I'm getting transmissions from that island that screams danger!" he exclaimed.

"Oh stop it." I corrected. I knew his systems were old and faulty, he didn't know what he was talking about. Suddenly he dropped to my level and started shaking my shoulders.

"No, Saytee, I'm serious! I already told Jim but he wouldn't listen to me! You gotta tell him to keep going!"

"The ship is pretty wrecked. We need to stop." I reminded as I stood up and jumped back to the deck, walking away. I didn't want to hear anymore of his nonsense, I wanted to talk to Jim though.

The first place I looked for him was his old room. I didn't think he'd be there, but to my surprise.

I walked in quietly, looking over the damage. Glass lay all over the floor, and a cold breeze traveled in through the broken window.

The furniture was disarrayed, too. The desk was up-side-down on the opposite side of the room, the bed was flipped, and a bunch of the pictures had either fallen off the shelf, or were even missing.

One laid at my feet, and I picked it up. It was one of Jim and his mom when he was little. It made me smile, seeing him that young.

Jim was looking through the room, picking up any valuable items of his I guessed. He hadn't seen me yet, and I stayed put and quiet until he noticed me.

I don't know what made him look, but he did eventually. "Oh, hi." He said, seeming surprised. I smiled and blinked, stepping around glass to get to him. Now we were face to face. Well, sort of. I was significantly shorter than him.

I looked into his big gray-blue eyes. We held eye contact for a while, and I could tell how he was feeling at that very minute.

Afraid; that the island wasn't safe and we'd have to go on, not knowing where we were.

And I even saw he was homesick. Seeing all these broken pictures would make me homesick too. It was strange seeing him like this, Jim wouldn't strike you as being the softy type. But it made me feel good to see the more sensitive side of him.

We held eye contact for a long time, until I held the picture out to him. That's when he looked down. He smiled, then suddenly...hugged me.

Wow, he really was homesick.

But I wrapped my arms around his neck, letting him hold me. I tried to stand on my tip toes as best I could to be at his level. And we stood there together for a long time.

I felt a sudden really cold breeze from the window, and Jim leaned slightly away from me, looking over, still holding my waist.

Once we realized there was nothing to see, we looked back at each other, and he smiled. I couldn't help but smile back, of course.

"You miss home, don't you?" I wondered. He halfway shrugged then nodded, as if ashamed to admit it.

I don't know what that's like, to miss home so much. I don't have a home, any place you just live isn't home. Home is where the people you love are...

As far as I'm concerned, this ship is my home, because Jim is here.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked me. I gazed back at him, just realizing I was spacing. I couldn't tell him what I was thinking. I would have blurted out "I love you."

I just smiled and shook my head, looking down. He kissed my forehead.