Chapter 7

Saytee

I woke up, forgetting where I was at first. I assumed I'd fallen asleep on the ground somewhere, like I usually do. I rolled over, and off the bed, squealing as I hit the ground.

I leaned up, looking around. I was startled to see Jim sleeping right next to me.

That was sweet. He slept on the ground and let me sleep in his bed.

I watched as he started stirring and opened his eyes. "Oh, hey." He said tiredly. I guess he was surprised to see me. He leaned up, rubbing his eyes. "Did you just fall off?" He asked with a cute smile. I blushed. "Sorry if I woke you up, and that I took the bed. You could have told me to get out." I told him.

He shook his head and stood up, picking his blanket and pillow up off the ground and tossing them on the bed. "But you looked so peaceful."

It's almost strange to see him like this. He wasn't the captain, he was just a friend. It seemed weird to have it that way.

He held his hand out to me and I took it, letting him pull me to my feet. I quickly let go of him. "You can go back to sleep if you want. It's early, I'm just going to see that we're on course." He said as he turned away and walked to the closet again. That's when he took his shirt off and started looking through the new ones.

My eyes widened. Oh. My. Word.

I turned away casually, knowing I shouldn't be staring. "Thank you, I think I'll do that." I admitted.

I saw out of the corner of my eye that he'd put a shirt on, but I still didn't look at him again yet.

"Just come find me if you need anything." He said as he slipped on a belt that had a gun holster on the side. I looked at him and tucked some of my thin hair behind my ear, smiling sweetly. He returned the gesture and walked out the door.

Just as the door closed, I heard something bumping around behind me. Either that, or the door is just noisy. I turned, seeing something slip behind the desk.

It was probably a stupid thing to do, but I walked slowly over there without anything to defend myself and peeked over the front of the desk.

Suddenly a robot jumped from out of the shadow and onto me, knocking me to the ground.

"Oh Jimmy! I'm sorry, I just had to come with you! I didn't mean to-" the robot suddenly looked down at me and I screamed. "You're not Jim!" He observed as he jumped up, backing away slowly.

His body was long, skinny, and rusted brown. That made his bright blue eyes stick out from the rest of him.

I'd seen robots before, but this one kind of attacked me, so I was a little freaked out. "What the heck are you??" I asked.

The robot looked himself up and down, feeling his chest, as if he was trying to find out himself. "Oh, me? BEN." He introduced finally.

"Ben?" I clarified.

"BEN: Bio Electronic Navigator." He said bluntly. I waited for more of an explanation, and he looked as if he was waiting for more of a reply too.

But he ended up speaking up first. "I-I'm a friend of Jim's. Do you know where he is?" He asked. I slowly backed away, planning to run straight for the door. But BEN started to run first.

I was closer to the door, so by the time I realized he had the same plan, and ran myself, I was still up the stairs before he was. I ran for the front of the boat, where Jim would be.

Jim must have heard me coming, because he turned around as I ran toward him. I ran slightly past him and hid behind his back, holding his shoulder. He just turned his head. "Saytee, what is it?" He asked sounding concerned. I just pointed down the ship, where BEN was gaining.

Jim moaned and slapped his forehead. "BEN, what are you doing here? I told you to stay on Montressor." He told the robot, trying to sound tolerant. BEN was about to reply, but something against my stomach started to shake. It wasn't until then that if realized how closely I was pressed against Jim. But with that strange sensation, I moved away again.

He looked down at his waist, at his belt. Suddenly it slipped off, shifting into just a blob of pink goo with eyes. My jaw dropped and I backed up until I accidentally hit the railing.

The goo looked back at me, and Jim looked at the goo. "Morph!" He yelled, now obviously intolerant.

"Morph" didn't look at Jim. Instead it flew to me and started rubbing against my cheeks. It (also) was kind of freaking me out! I pushed it away so I could look at it again, but Jim caught it in his hands and turned back to BEN.

"What are you guys doing here?" He rebuked. BEN just smiled and shrugged. Morph floated in mid air, shifting looks between me and Jim.

And, meanwhile, I'm still back here pinned against the rails and panicking.