Chapter 12

Jim

I couldn't really believe what I found that morning. I slept in pretty late.

We both did.

I opened my eyes to see Saytee sleeping next to me. Very close. I don't remember having her here before I fell asleep...

I watched her for a second, and she opened her eyes, as if she knew I'd been watching. But her reaction when she saw how close we were was the same as mine...except she actually let hers show through.

Her eyes grew wide and her cheeks pink. She leaned up and covered her mouth, hiding her shocked expression. I voluntarily kept my hand on her waist, and she didn't seem to notice.

She looked back down at me, her hand still covering her mouth. She looked me up and down, and I knew what she was thinking, but I didn't acknowledge it.

I watched her expectantly, thinking she would speak up. She lowered her hand, revealing her red cheeks. That made me smile.

"I'm so sorry." She told me shyly. She must have slept walked to my side of the bed and fallen asleep next to me. I didn't mind, of course. But she didn't know that.

It wasn't then that I realized I was still smiling, and the only reason I did realize is because Saytee reached over, grabbed a pillow and slammed my face with it. "Don't smile at me like that." She warned, giggling lightly.

I let go of her and pulled the pillow off, only to have it pushed down on my face again. She'd just noticed I was holding her. "And don't...touch me like that!" She commanded playfully, moving away this time.

I leaned up and threw the pillow at her. "You started it." I blamed. She kept the pillow for a minute, holding it over her chest. She looked down wiggled her nose, probably thinking of what to say next.

I laughed silently and she looked up at me again. She chucked the pillow once more, but I dodged it. "I said don't do that!" She reminded me.

I nodded and tried my best not to let my smile show. I purposely kind of let it, the corners of my lips rising as Saytee watched me. "What are you doing?" She asked, laughing herself.

"You told me not to smile." I said, my words a bit slurred because if I really moved my lips, I would have smiled. She leaned in, our foreheads touching. "You're weird." She commented teasingly.

I had one second. I had to take this chance. Just as she started to lean away, I shifted my head foreword and pecked her lips.