Chapter 9

Saytee

I'm still trying not to freak out, and for three reasons.

One: Jim left, and that ship could very well be a pirate ship. I don't want him getting hurt.

Two: He left me in this room, alone with BEN and Morph. They still kind of weird me out. They're too friendly.

Three: HE KNOWS MY NAME!!!!!!

Okay okay, that shouldn't be one of my reasons, but I am so happy about it!

Anyway, so I turned from the door to the room, looking for my two roommates. They were hiding again. I crossed my arms, examining every object in the room.

"Morph," I called, and surly enough he transformed from a picture on Jim's desk to his regular, weird, pinky self. He floated to me and rubbed against my cheek again. I let him this time, it's not like he was dangerous, right?

Just as I let my guard down, BEN suddenly fell from the ceiling, landing right at my feet. I screeched, obviously. But instead of freak out and kick him like I really wanted to, I just looked up and observed where he'd been hiding. Hey, there are rafters in here. Clever hiding spot, BEN.

I looked down at him again, wearing an unimpressed expression. He hopped to his feet, almost hitting my face as he rose. "Look!" he yelled. I don't think he knows how to control that voice of his.

I walked past him and sat on the bed with my arms crossed. "I don't think we got off to a good start. I'm sorry I jumped on you, alright?" He said kindly. He must have seen my hard expression, because soon after he said that, he started to look very dejected.

"You know, you're just like him. Why is everyone I meet like this?" He asked, I'm guessing to himself and turned around, walking toward the large windows on the side of the cabin.

"Like who?" I wondered. He suddenly turned to me, looking enthusiastic. "You can talk!" He noted, again very loudly. That was when Morph transformed into a tiny firework to share BEN's joy. I smiled at the two.

Then BEN went on with his story. "And you're like Jim. When he first met, he didn't like me either. But hey, I ended up saving his dog-on life!" He bragged.

My mouth grew into a full smile, and I asked more about the story. He told me everything. The map, Flint's Trove, the "boobie-trap" and portal, and Jim saving the day. Morph, of course, was helping to illustrate the tale.

I liked this story, I loved hearing so many great things about Jim. I couldn't help it. By the time BEN was through telling the story, it turns out that two hours had gone by, and Jim came back, not looking as alarmed as he was.

He startled me. While BEN told me the stories, I'd shifted positions to laying on my stomach on the bed, waving my legs in the air like some five year old. I'd gotten too comfortable, this wasn't my room. I quickly got up, sitting criss-cross now.

Jim shifted glances between me and BEN, as if surprised we were even speaking. "Well, it was only merchants." Jim explained as he came further in the room, closing the door behind him.

I looked at him so differently now. I didn't just see him as an authority figure, or the boy I liked. I saw him as the hero that he was.

It was surreal in a sense.