Chapter Four

We travelled as a group back to the pack house on foot while a few warriors followed in the forest in wolf form. As we walked, I introduced myself to the two women who were mated to the injured warriors and reintroduced myself to Beta female Scarlett. She used to visit my cabin often and assist my family with tasks but as of the last few years she's been busy with pack affairs and focusing on her training as a healer.

"Have you been able to handle all of the requests lately?" I could hear the concern she was struggling to hide. Beta Scarlett was tough but more than that she was caring. Every pack member was family in her heart.

"Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get orders ready but it's not too overwhelming. I have a system in place." In truth it was near exhausting. Some weeks it took multiple all nighters but it was always worth it. I'm not able to get things done as quickly as my family had in the past but I've made do.

"Well with you staying in the pack house now I can assist between my training. I'm sure other members in the pack will be interested in learning from you. Your family's work has supported this pack for many years now." She spoke with pride and I smiled at the recognition my family received.

"It would be an honor to share my family's knowledge with the pack." I gave a small bow as we walked, and her smile increased.

"In the pack house we already have a room assigned to you. An office and workstation will also be set up in the medical wing of the house for your work."

"Thank you for your generosity."

"It was really the Luna and Alpha that made the arrangements, I just got you the bedroom." She gave a small laugh and shrug. My curiosity got the best of me and I looked ahead at one of the two groups of warriors. When James came into my view, I couldn't deny the feeling of relief that was washed over my body.

"May I ask a question?" I spoke up and Scarlett gave me permission with a nod. "Do all mates share rooms in the pack house?" I felt my cheeks warm and Scarlett's eyebrows rose in curiosity. I could see our two other companions now glancing at me in curiosity.

"For the most part, yes. Why do you ask?" All three women were now staring at me and I felt myself struggling to form a response. Candice, one of the females, seemed to sense my nervous energy and a grin spread across her face.

"You have a mate don't you!" She exclaimed, and I knew surely that James must have heard. I felt my face heat up further and if it weren't for my darker complexion I'd likely look like a fire hydrant.

"I just found him today actually." I admitted, my eyes instinctively straying to James' back once again. Their eyes followed my own as they searched the many men hoping to pick him out on their own.

"Let's see, is it Ashton? He's quite the nice fellow and his brother is a Beta in another pack!" Stephanie guessed, and Candice shook her head.

"No way it must be Bret, am I right? He just turned 18 a while back and hasn't found his mate yet." Candice seemed confident in her selection, but I shook my head.

"Ladies, I got this. It's Aiden isn't it? He's such a player so I didn't really think anything of it earlier when he was giving you the eye but that would make total sense if he was your mate." The ladies nodded in agreement but once again I shook my head.

"It's actually... James." I pointed quickly in his direction and all of their eyes widened in shock. The first to compose herself was Scarlett.

"Oh... well he's... strong." She seemed to struggle in finding a compliment for my mate and it concerned me.

"Yes, very strong. I heard he's one of the best during training." Candice praised.

"She's right, all the head warriors say he has potential." Stephanie added.