Chapter Six - More Mistakes

Start from the beginning

"Hey Ace," I said quietly. I think he could tell I was crying. "Where are you and Riley?" I asked.

"Just at McDonald's why? Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine; I will walk down there to meet you guys. Okay?" I asked. "I need to talk to you."

I went to McDonald's and sat down at the booth with them after I ordered fries and a smoothie. What? Can't a girl have a treat once in a while?

"Hey guys. We really need to talk" I said. "Ace, when you and Riley left, you hugged." I said sipping some more of my smoothie. "Well, right after you were gone, Oakley sent something to the entire school." I said sliding my phone on the table with the text open. "I'm really sorry, I wish that hadn't happened." I said as Riley and Ace stared at the text. I ate a few fries and put my face in my hands. "Please don't say you're going to leave the school. I really need you."

"Maybe, I just don't belong there. No one accepts me, for who I am. Or maybe, maybe if I didn't hang around you anymore, people wouldn't bother me. Look, Cam, we can't go to the dance together." He said. Then Ace grabbed his drink and left.

"I'm so sorry." Riley said. "I'll go try and talk some sense into him." She followed Ace leaving me at the table alone.

I sat there trying to comprehend what just happened. Ace is such an amazing guy, how could so many people dis him like that. It's not right.

I gave Oakley a call.

"Hello?"

"Hey Oakley it's Camilla." I sighed quietly.

"Oh hey, you still going to the dance with Ace?" He laughed. "I just don't get why you would go with a freak like him. I mean, you're so hot and could get any other guy but you choose him?"

"Yes, Oakley. I do choose Ace. I choose Ace over any of you guys who just try to take down Ace to get to me. It's not going to work. Even if you do take down Ace I'm never going to go to any guy who thinks they can get me easily. Ace is my best friend. He's everything to me. I'm not going to leave his side. And even though he may be weak, I'm going to stand up for him. Because I love him Oakley. I love Ace. I don't love you, or any other guy at our school. I love Ace. He is my world. And what you're doing to him is not right? Picking on him is not okay." I said.

"Okay, I'll see you around. By the way, tell Ace I'm..." He muffled something, I'm pretty sure he said sorry but I wanted to hear it genuinely.

"Tell Ace what?" I smiled.

"Tell him I'm sorry." He said hanging up directly after.

I looked around the restaurant to see if Riley and Ace had left. When I turned around I saw Ace smiling. He mouthed the words "thank you Camilla" and walked out the door.

I called Micah. I wanted to scream at him but I knew I couldn't.

"Hey Micah, it's Camilla."

"Hey, Camilla,"

"I need you to know that what you did wasn't okay. It hurt Ace and he's really upset about it."

"Oh whatever," he said. "Ace is a big boy, I'm sure he can get over it."

"Micah, that's not the point. It's not okay to pick on someone like that. He's more fragile than you think. He has AIDS you know." I had to make up something but I immediately regretted what I just said.

"AIDS? Oh my god I have to tell everyone! Did he get it from a girl when he hooked up with her?"

"No Micah! It runs in his family okay. It's not his fault." I lied again. Why can't I just tell him that he actually just has cancer?